Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Jon Elson Jon Elson is offline

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfingerdoesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

Martin H. Eastburn wrote:
CAFE laws have killed thousands of people. Think of it that way.

Light cars don't survive. But the 5 MPH or less bumper made of plastic
the plastic radiator, the fold into nothing front destroys a very very
expensive car and protects about the same with a real front end and
airbags.

Insurance rates are way up due to CAFE and just what else - not pay scales.

Oh, really?

I bought a Honda Civic Hybrid last fall. My 21
year-old daughter ran it THROUGH a power pole and
flipped it. The pole was completely severed. She
walked away without a SCRATCH! This car gets well
over 50 MPG after you get it broken in.

Of course, she had her seat belt on, and the air
bags did their job.

Oh, the plastic bumper is just for aerodynamics
and looks. There is a massive extruded aluminum
box beam behind it. It really doesn't look all
that substantial, but it absorbed a 50 MPH impact
with a power pole without tearing in half. After
the rollover, the roof was caved in pretty good,
but all 4 doors still opened and shut just like new!

I can't speak for any other make-model, but Honda
really did the engineering right on the integrity
of the passenger compartment.

Jon