Posted to sci.electronics.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Need to reattach ribbon cable on circuit board

On Sat, 3 Jan 2009 14:21:47 -0800 (PST), wrote:

Greetings and happy New Year. I need to reattach a flat ribbon cable
that was glued (unfortunately) to a circuit board. Any suggestions? If
possible I would like to simply reglue. If this is possible, what sort
of glue would I use? What sorts of preparation would be required?
Would I have to worry about "bridging"?

I like ambroid cement for stuff that doesn't require great strength.
Sticks to almost everything, dries quickly, doesn't require exact
surface matching but doesn't take up much space either, smells good,
available for the most part only at hobby stores. ACtually it's sort
of like Duco Cement should have been. But Duco Cement never seemed to
work very well.

I don't really appreciate your situation or why you need to glue it
back. Is it physically in the way of a moving part?

I don't know what you mean by bridging.

If I wanted to try to reheat the existing glue -- any suggestions on
how I would go about this (I suppose using the right heat would be
critical).

What do you think the existing glue is?

AFAIK only a very few can be reheated.

Regardless, I wouldn't try to reheat it. Won't you have to heat up
other parts too? And why, when there are so many other glues?

Thx!

Peter