Henry St.Pierre

Default To rewire, and how?

bummster wrote:
I have a craftsman tablesaw, that is currently wired up for 115V. i
have the 220V line already setup, without a 220V recepticle when i
wired up the garage/shop.

is it worth rewiring the motor for 220V? i've read that it doesn't
matter if i rewire the motor, and i've also heard it creates more HP
at the 220V.

You will not get a HP increase. You use about half the current as the
110v circuit, but about the same power.

Also if i do go about rewiring this motor, would i need to pick up new
wire (3 or 4 wire?) and a 220V Switchbox, as well as a 20-30amp 220V
recepticle correct?

Check the literature that came with the saw/motor. You MAY need a new
motor lead. You WILL need a new plug. You MAY need a new switch box or
it MAY just need rewiring. You will need 220v receptacles.

I'm green to both electricity and woodworking. so help is always
appreciated.

-danny

Danny,
I wouldn't waste my time rewiring the motor on this saw as it will not
buy you much. If you had one of the large cabinet or supersaws 220v
would be a requirement.
Regards,
Hank