Posted to sci.electronics.repair
krw[_5_] krw[_5_] is offline

Default Laptop/ drill rechargable batterys.. methods for longer life?

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:50:49 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:22:09 -0500, Jamie wrote:

I have a fire storm B&D and Crapsman drills , I do use them
alot but I do not charge the packs when done. I just throw them
in a little frig I have in the shop.

So -- when you need to use a drill, its battery is both cold _AND_
discharged.

I wonder why no one else has ever come up with this Grand Idea?

I don't know, I do know that I learned that trick from my
grandmother. She used to store the dry cells in the frig..

In case anyone hasn't told you, NiCds and NHMs aren't dry cells. These
cells don't benefit from storing cold, but are damaged by high
temperatures. Your idea of draining them before storage is almost
right. NiCds and NMHs should be stored discharged, but there is no
need to discharge them; they'll do that themselves, just fine, and you
won't risk reverse charging a cell. Discharging multi-cell NiCds
damages more batteries than anything else. Over-charging is second.

I learned that cold slows things down! including me !

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

I've learned that it also breaks things. No matter what the ad copy
says, one size does not fit all.