Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Default Laptop/ drill rechargable batterys.. methods for longer life?

Having owned many of these, i often wondered on how to get
the most lifetime out of the battery's.

I have had little used 14.4 volt drills that after 2 or 3
years the battery packs become very degraded. I this case,
the drill sits unused for a long period of time, then recharged
before next use.

Laptops, same story. occasional use, sits for awhile then used again.

Batteries are usually rated for so many cycles of recharging.
So, should it be better to constantly recharge the units,
or only charge as needed?

The charge as needed method for units that sit for awhile does not
seem to work out very well. I have a number of drill power packs
that i need to find some of those tab ni-cads for. I think there
c size or such. Anybody with tips on that let me know..

Keeping them constantly plugged in seems to me would use up
there number of charge cycles and shorten life to.

so, whats the best way to get the most out of rechargeable battery
packs?

And how can hybrid cars get 10 years out of a battery pack
when i am lucky to get 2 or 3 out of most of the packs i have?
I do see online how some of the early gen Prius packs are failing
much to the owners displeasure.

bob

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob urz wrote:

[...]

Run the charge out and do not charge after use, store batteries in
cold spot!.
Some place batteries in a plastic bag for frig storage! Not
the freezer box.

I have a fire storm B&D and Crapsman drills , I do use them
alot but I do not charge the packs when done. I just throw them
in a little frig I have in the shop.
They're both 4 or 5 years old and still work great.

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob urz wrote:
[...]

News==----
http://www.pronews.com The #1 Newsgroup Service in the World! 100,000
Newsgroups

Look at a few battery information sites, and the recommendations for
your particular battery chemistry. FWIW, most NiMH authorities say for
longest lifetime, to store them 50% charged. I always thought that was
a bit ridiculous. How to you gauge 50%?

I always store them charged. They'll get to 50% eventually.....

jak
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I had always read that nicads should be run down before being recharged.
I've done that with my Dust Buster and gotten excellent battery life out of
it.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:22:09 -0500, Jamie wrote:

I have a fire storm B&D and Crapsman drills , I do use them
alot but I do not charge the packs when done. I just throw them
in a little frig I have in the shop.

So -- when you need to use a drill, its battery is both cold _AND_
discharged.

I wonder why no one else has ever come up with this Grand Idea?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:22:09 -0500, Jamie wrote:

I have a fire storm B&D and Crapsman drills , I do use them
alot but I do not charge the packs when done. I just throw them
in a little frig I have in the shop.

So -- when you need to use a drill, its battery is both cold _AND_
discharged.

I wonder why no one else has ever come up with this Grand Idea?

I don't know, I do know that I learned that trick from my
grandmother. She used to store the dry cells in the frig..

I learned that cold slows things down! including me !

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 18:50:49 -0500, Jamie
t wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

On Sun, 04 Jan 2009 14:22:09 -0500, Jamie wrote:

I have a fire storm B&D and Crapsman drills , I do use them
alot but I do not charge the packs when done. I just throw them
in a little frig I have in the shop.

So -- when you need to use a drill, its battery is both cold _AND_
discharged.

I wonder why no one else has ever come up with this Grand Idea?

I don't know, I do know that I learned that trick from my
grandmother. She used to store the dry cells in the frig..

In case anyone hasn't told you, NiCds and NHMs aren't dry cells. These
cells don't benefit from storing cold, but are damaged by high
temperatures. Your idea of draining them before storage is almost
right. NiCds and NMHs should be stored discharged, but there is no
need to discharge them; they'll do that themselves, just fine, and you
won't risk reverse charging a cell. Discharging multi-cell NiCds
damages more batteries than anything else. Over-charging is second.

I learned that cold slows things down! including me !

http://webpages.charter.net/jamie_5"

I've learned that it also breaks things. No matter what the ad copy
says, one size does not fit all.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:51:47 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

I had always read that nicads should be run down before being recharged.

Running them down before recharge is different from running them down
before storage. These batteries tend to have a limited number of
charge cycles so, yes, you're better off using the batteries than
charging them. Storage is another matter though. NiCds (NMH is a
very similar chemistry) like to be stored flat but *NOT* discharged so
low that cells get reversed. It's better to let them discharge
themselves during storage.

I've done that with my Dust Buster and gotten excellent battery life out of
it.

Dustbusters tend to get killed by constant charging in thier cheap-ass
charger. Things like DustBusters would work much better if they used
lead-acid batteries(SLACs).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Dustbusters tend to get killed by constant charging in
their cheap-ass charger.

Which I don't do.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

In article ,
bob urz wrote:
And how can hybrid cars get 10 years out of a battery pack
when i am lucky to get 2 or 3 out of most of the packs i have?
I do see online how some of the early gen Prius packs are failing
much to the owners displeasure.

The Prius doesn't allow its battery to get fully discharged. Also makes
sure it isn't overheated during charging. Uses top quality cells too -
which you don't get on cheap power tools.

--
*Why are they called apartments, when they're all stuck together? *

Dave Plowman London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 16:40:10 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Dustbusters tend to get killed by constant charging in
their cheap-ass charger.

Which I don't do.

*THAT* is why your's lasts more than a month. Most keep them in their
charger, which allows B&D to sell them another one in a few months.
Ideally this sort of device (along with flashlights) would be
constantly charged so it's always available for use. This
contraindicates NiCds though (SLACs would be a good match).
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I had always read that nicads should be run down before being
recharged. I've done that with my Dust Buster and gotten excellent
battery life out of it.

the DB is designed to stay on the charger 24/7/365.(at least my model is)
Mine lasted 10 yrs before needing a new pack,which was cheaper thna buying
a new DB.

you can buy NiCd cells at Digi-Key specifically designed for continuous
charging.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

Dustbusters tend to get killed by constant charging in
their cheap-ass charger.

Which I don't do.

*THAT* is why your's lasts more than a month. Most keep them in their
charger, which allows B&D to sell them another one in a few months.
Ideally this sort of device (along with flashlights) would be
constantly charged so it's always available for use. This
contraindicates NiCds though (SLACs would be a good match).

My DB lasted -10 yrs- on the first battery pack.
I had the pack replaced at a DeWalt service center,cheaper than a new DB.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

[...]

My experience with NiCds is "use them or lose them".

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Jan 2009 04:56:47 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

krw wrote in
:

t wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

[...]

I have some from the '60s that still work (I may have finally thrown
them out in the last move). As long as they're stored flat they
should last virtually forever.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Jan 2009 04:55:27 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

krw wrote in
:

wrote:

Dustbusters tend to get killed by constant charging in
their cheap-ass charger.

Which I don't do.

*THAT* is why your's lasts more than a month. Most keep them in their
charger, which allows B&D to sell them another one in a few months.
Ideally this sort of device (along with flashlights) would be
constantly charged so it's always available for use. This
contraindicates NiCds though (SLACs would be a good match).

My DB lasted -10 yrs- on the first battery pack.
I had the pack replaced at a DeWalt service center,cheaper than a new DB.

I find that amazing. I've replaced drills (don't/wouldn't own a DB)
because a new drill was cheaper than the batteries that come with it.
In fact, that's how I built my Dewalt 18V battery collection. ;-) I
found an 18V compact drill (already had the standard 18V model) for
$100 in HomeDespot. Two batteries were worth $120 ($180 if bought
separately). I got another drill, not that I needed it - I have at
least six, free. ;-)
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

I have some from the '60s that still work (I may have finally thrown
them out in the last move). As long as they're stored flat they
should last virtually forever.

What about them drying out?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I have some from the '60s that still work (I may have finally thrown
them out in the last move). As long as they're stored flat they
should last virtually forever.

What about them drying out?

I don't believe the electrolyte is water-based.
I also don't believe that about "stored flat they should last virtually
forever",as they will still grow crystal spikes that short out the cell.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

It's my understanding that dendrites grow in the presence of
an electric field. If they're totally flat there should be no growth.

What is "totally flat"? You can't drive a battery pack down to zero, only
individual cells.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Jan 5, 6:34*pm, Jim Yanik wrote:
krw wrote . net:

In article ,
says...
krw wrote in
. net:

In article ,
says...
"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I have some from the '60s that still work (I may have finally
thrown them out in the last move). As long as they're stored
flat they should last virtually forever.

What about them drying out?

I don't believe the electrolyte is water-based.
I also don't believe that about "stored flat they should last
virtually forever",as they will still grow crystal spikes that
short out the cell.

It's my understanding that dendrites grow in the presence of an
electric field. *If they're totally flat there should be no growth..

define "totally flat",or just "flat".

Are you saying -zero- volts per cell?

Yes. *That's flat. *They'll self-discharge all the way to zero in a
year or so.

and won't recover,either.

If there's -any- charge on them,they'll grow dendrites.

There won't be charge in them long.

evidently long enough to grow dendrites.

In my experience,NiCds that aren't used regularly go bad quickly.

Either you buy incredibly crappy batteries or you're doing
something bad to them. *

that experience would include my own purchases(like B&D and Makita) and
those of Tektronix for their battery-powered products.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

You can almost always burn the dendrites off with a current thru the
battery of 10 amps or so for a few seconds. The problem is that you
may have to take the battery pack apart to get to each cell to see
which one(s) have developed shorts.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On 5 Jan 2009 04:53:44 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I had always read that nicads should be run down before being
recharged. I've done that with my Dust Buster and gotten excellent
battery life out of it.

the DB is designed to stay on the charger 24/7/365.(at least my model is)
Mine lasted 10 yrs before needing a new pack,which was cheaper thna buying
a new DB.

you can buy NiCd cells at Digi-Key specifically designed for continuous
charging.

I suppose you believe Ron Popiel too. The nature of the batery
chemistry says that this is false.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

krw wrote in
:

On 5 Jan 2009 04:53:44 GMT, Jim Yanik wrote:

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

I had always read that nicads should be run down before being
recharged. I've done that with my Dust Buster and gotten excellent
battery life out of it.

the DB is designed to stay on the charger 24/7/365.(at least my model
is) Mine lasted 10 yrs before needing a new pack,which was cheaper
thna buying a new DB.

you can buy NiCd cells at Digi-Key specifically designed for
continuous charging.

I suppose you believe Ron Popiel too. The nature of the batery
chemistry says that this is false.

Hey,I'm just relating what DIGI-KEY lists in their catalog;NiCds
specifically designed for continous charge;24/7/365.

Digi Key is not RONCO.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

t wrote:

Allodoxaphobia wrote:

[...]

I agree that many people are too keen on discharging their packs until every
last bit of charge has been removed, at which point one of the cells will
be reverse charged and damaged.

If you store them fully charged and let them self-discharge, the rate of
self-discharge is likely to be different between different cells in the
pack, meaning that after storage there will be a wide variation in the
state of charge between the different cells. Then if the pack is
subsequently fast-charged, one of the cells may get overcharged.

I would aim to get the pack nearly flat, but not so flat that any of the
cells is at any risk of being reverse charged, before storing the pack for
a long period.

Chris

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Chris Jones wrote in
:

I would aim to get the pack nearly flat, but not so flat that any of
the cells is at any risk of being reverse charged, before storing the
pack for a long period.

Chris

I'd aim to get lithium-ion packs,that will retain a usable charge for
several months.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier that's been
around about 20 years. They sell no consumer products.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"William Sommerwerck" wrote in
:

JY wrote;
Digi Key is not RONCO.

krw wrote;
Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier that's been
around about 20 years. They sell no consumer products.

it kinda destroys krw's credibility.

--
Jim Yanik
jyanik
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier
that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer
products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

bob urz wrote:

[...]

The Prius maintains its batteries at between 50-80% of full charge.

Any new battery or battery that's gone unused for at least 2 months
should be charged longer than normal, 24-36 hours, whether you use a
fast charger or trickle charger. The only exceptions are very
primitive chargers that end charging with just a simple bimetal
thermostat. Disconnect the battery within an hour after the
thermostat opens.

Try to let batteries cool down before recharging, but do not leave the
battery connected to the battery continuously, even if the charger is
designed to shut off or go into a maintenance mode. Also do not fully
discharge batteries regularly but only down to 1.1V per cell (13.2V,
in the case of a 14.4V battery). Deeper discharge is harmful. Also
check each cell occasionally for reverse polarity. If not corrected,
reverse polarity will lead to the affected cell becoming shorted and
the other cells overcharged. To correct reverse polarity, charge the
affected cell by directly connecting approximately 100mA DC to that
cell and only that cell for a few minutes, then recharge the battery
normally.

Drilling several tiny vent holes into the battery pack may help
cooling, top and bottom, but remove the cells first.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Wed, 7 Jan 2009 13:21:53 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier
that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer
products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Can't read much, eh?

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:04:59 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier
that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer
products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Can't read much, eh?

Guess not.

At least you're honest about your shortcommings.
Posted to sci.electronics.repair

"krw" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:04:59 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier
that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer
products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Can't read much, eh?

Guess not.

At least you're honest about your shortcommings.

I was being sarcastic.

To compare a major distributor of name-brand electronic components that it
does not manufacture, with a maker of consumer gadgetry, is ludicrous.

The fact that both companies sell items for more than what it costs to make
or obtain them (which all companies have to do to stay in business) does not
bestow any form of equivalence on their businesses.

Posted to sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:18:10 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

"krw" wrote in message
.. .
On Sun, 11 Jan 2009 14:04:59 -0800, "William Sommerwerck"
wrote:

.. .
wrote:

Digi Key is not RONCO.

Don't bet on it.

What a silly remark. Digi-Key is a major component supplier
that's been around about 20 years. They sell no consumer
products.

They'll sell whatever manufacturers have to sell, at 2-10x the
going price. Sounds a lot like Ronco to me, though their online
catalog is better.

This is foolishness. Digi-Key is a distributor, not a manufacturer.

Can't read much, eh?

Guess not.

At least you're honest about your shortcommings.

I was being sarcastic.

I wasn't. Your shorcommings aren't just in your shorts, evidently.

To compare a major distributor of name-brand electronic components that it
does not manufacture, with a maker of consumer gadgetry, is ludicrous.

You think Ron Popiel actually makes his gadgets?

Both sell **** for *way* more than it's worth.