Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger doesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

"Larry Jaques" wrote in message
On Sun, 4 Jan 2009 12:23:25 -0500, the infamous "Ed Huntress"
scrawled the following:

"Jon Anderson" wrote in message
news
Ed Huntress wrote:
I don't like the extra complication, although I'll be convinced if
someone comes up with a good plug-in version.

That's supposed to be coming in the next year or so. Some people have
hacked theirs to allow plug-in charging, though that obviously voids the
warranty....

Since you keep drawing the batteries down low when you drive on electric
only, there's a concern about battery life, too. I've heard that's the
reason that Toyota was bad-mouthing plug-ins early on, and wouldn't build
one. Also, you'd need about $30,000 worth of their current type of
batteries
(NiMH, apparently soon to change to Li-ion) to get any worthwhile range
out
of it. One hopes that will improve over time.

I haven't started reading it yet but I have a copy of _Build Your Own
Electric Vehicle_ in my queue.

Online, I found references to lithium polymer batteries, the next gen
battery. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqywKcJ0J2M

One of my customers has a Prius and just loves it. It certainly gets far
better milage than his 1963 Chevy PU!
But here's someone that's not so impressed with them....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oOvp69lnZbA

ROFLMAO! Oh, that's funny.

You want funny? (Totally un-related and not PC.
http://www.uti.com/~thekeep/blondie.jpg

Jeez, you're crude. d8-)

--
Ed Huntress