Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Ed Huntress Ed Huntress is offline

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger doesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"John R. Carroll" wrote in message

"Ed Huntress" wrote in message

"Wes" wrote in message
"Ed Huntress" wrote:

Well, in 1982, the idea was still pretty alien to people away from the
coasts. On the other hand, until the recent slowdown, Toyota couldn't
keep
Prius's in stock, the demand was so high. Even in 2008, Toyota sold
over
200,000 hybrids in the US through November:

When their batteries crap out a few years down the road and they get
the price tag on a
new set, do you think they will be repeat buyers of hybrids?

Did you check before questioning what the "price tag" is? You ought to
do so. Look up their warranty and your question will be answered.

You might also want to check out Toyota's post-warranty battery
replacements (I'll give you this one: it's 1 out of every 40,000
Priuses sold since 2001).

Cost differntial on a hybrid vs a IC only compact car doesn't make
economic sense. I
doubt anyone has saved any money with a hybrid on a life cycle cost
basis.

Wes

Again, check your facts. The miles one has to drive to recover the
costs are pretty well established. Somebody on the Web even has a
calculator that allows you to plug in gasoline costs, but I couldn't
find it today.

The good thing here is that Wes will.
I hope the rest of our country looks like him.
Buffaloed maybe, stupid - no.

I wouldn't have suggested it if I didn't think he'd actually do it. That
wasn't a brush-off.

Most people won't, though. They'd rather be angry and ignorant.

I wasn't passing judgement on either of you Ed, just offering my opinion.
That we are all full of crap isn't important.
Frankly, we are, and that's important.

I think you know what I mean.

Oh, yeah, I didn't take it negatively. I thought you were saying that Wes is
the kind of guy who shapes his opinions based on an understanding of the
facts. That's my impression, too, and that's what I meant.

--
Ed Huntress