Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking

Default OT -- Let Detroit Build Profitable Cars -- UAW chief Ron Gettelfinger doesn't seem to get the picture. Let's help him

On Sat, 03 Jan 2009 09:34:37 -0500, Stuart Wheaton
wrote:

Ed Huntress

Despite all the noise -very- few people actually buy the high-mpg
vehicles that have been offered.
http://www.hybridcars.com/forums/198...ivic-t208.html

I never saw a Civic FE outside the showroom.

So, I'm guessing you live in Montana or some other red-meat and
republicans only enclave.

In mid-west Cincinnati, the mall and supermarket lots have a very
reasonable percentage of Prius and Civics, I see many Toyota
Matrix/Vibe, and other well made vehicles with excellent mileage Almost
all are American made, Japanese designed cars. A few months ago, I
looked at a PT cruiser, almost the same interior size as a Matrix, but
about 10 MPG less. What is Detroit's trouble? That is Detroits trouble.

And I find the arguments that the cost of a hybrid means they are
un-viable is spurious at best. I never saw a reasonability test of
buying an Escalade instead of a Malibu.

Stuart

Son...in urban ********s, you are unlikly to get those high mileage
numbers because you never drive very far.

Gunner

"Upon Roosevelt's death in 1945, H. L. Mencken predicted in his diary
that Roosevelt would be remembered as a great president, "maybe even
alongside Washington and Lincoln," opining that Roosevelt "had every
quality that morons esteem in their heroes.""