Posted to rec.woodworking
Morris Dovey Morris Dovey is offline

Default O/T - 2009

Dave in Houston wrote:
"Morris Dovey" wrote in message

...may your days be filled with sunshine.

I, for one, would like some rain. We, here in south Texas are in
another drought cycle. Our ranchers in Karnes County have spent the week
"dry planting" wheat and will now wait for rain. Good luck. After
60-some-odd inches between mid-February and mid-August, 2007 (3X normal
yearly average) I doubt they've had six inches all total since (pushing 18
months).

Other than that, a happy and healthy 2009 to all.

As one of my Minnesota farm neighbors said: "None or too much" - just
before he joked about putting pontoons on his combine and another
neighbor joked about using a canoe to harvest his corn...

A quick look tells me that Karnes County doesn't appear to have /any/
surface water. Are there any underground aquifers that could be tapped
for ag-use water - and if so, is there any way to apply it to wheat
production? (I'm wondering whether a solar-powered pumping approach
could help in situations like yours.)

--
Morris Dovey
DeSoto Solar