Posted to alt.home.repair
[email protected] celticsoc@aol.com is offline

Default Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

On Jan 2, 10:49�am, wrote:
On Fri, 2 Jan 2009 08:35:49 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Jan 2, 5:36?am, wrote:
On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 21:34:29 -0800 (PST), "

wrote:
On Dec 31 2008, 4:02?pm, wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 11:05:58 -0800, "Cheri"
wrote:

wrote in message
.. .
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 10:03:43 -0800, "Cheri"
wrote:

wrote in message
On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 20:52:40 -0500, Nate Nagel

On Tue, 30 Dec 2008 18:08:08 -0500, Nate Nagel
wrote:

dpb wrote:
On Dec 30, 11:24 am, Frank wrote:

Of course I come from a fairly frugal family of mostly German
ancestry,
so the Amish and I probably have at least a little in common as to
how
we look at physical goods...

nate

Do Germans also beat their wives and children, and consider them
property?

Not that I'm aware, but I haven't heard that of the Amish either.

It doesn't get much press because portraying them as rustic romantics
is far more profitable for Hotels, bus tours, and the many other
businesses that benifit from tourism in Pennsyvania.

Baloney! It doesn't get much press because it doesn't happen that much.

Cheri

So you are saying you are aware that it happens?

Of course it happens, just as it's happened around the world since time
began, but it's not the norm, anymore than it's the norm for men to be
wife/child beaters just because some of them are.

Cheri

It's a religious cult, and this behavior is part of their belief
system. Women and children are property, and it is considered a good
thing to beat them regularly. Gods will, ya know!- Hide quoted text -

Cite?

http://tinyfrog.wordpress.com/2008/0...wing-up-amish/

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...g-the-amish-pa....

http://www.fourhourworkweek.com/blog...g-the-amish-pa....

You might also want to do a little googling on Amsih Animal cruelty.

The bottom line is that the whole sales pitch that romanticizes the
Amish as some sort of quaint and wonderful throwback to simpler and
more "genuine" times is fabricated. They just have better PR people
than the Hells Angels and the Taliban. The states where they live make
a LOT of money off that false image, so they aren't about to do
anything to hurt business. You won't find a lot of information because
they work very hard to supress it. They are a little harder to
infiltrate than the KKK, and look how long it took to take THAT
organization mostly apart.- Hide quoted text -

You give three links to stories about the same person, and you want
that extended to the whole community? �By the way, do you know what an
unbiased source is? �A website dedicated to "athiesm, evolution,
skepticism" hardly qualifies.

OK, we have established that you don't like the Amish. �Now, instead
of taking a single story about a supposed event that allegedly
happened to someone else who has a bone to pick with the Amish and
spreading unsubstantiated stories about the Amish in general, why not
acknowledge that, if this did happen, it appears to be an isolated
incident. �Then tell us what your real problem is with the Amish..
It's a lot easier to win arguments when they aren't based on
fabrications that can be uncovered as such later. �Of course, it is
certainly possible to poison the well and raise doubts among those who
look no further, but the backlash can be hell...

The account I gave a link for is a FIRST HAND account. If you dismiss
that so easily, then it's obvious that it is you that has the agenda
and bias.- Hide quoted text -

A SINGLE account, which you extended to the whole community. By your
logic, everyone in every ethnic group and from every religion is a
wifebeater. And a child molester. And a thief. And a rapist. And a
murderer. And ...

I didn't dismiss the account as false. I said it was unsubstantiated,
and if true did not qualify as an indictment of an entire community.