Leon

Default Dewalt or Makita Jigsaw?

"GTO69RA4" wrote in message
Just thought I'd add to this. I have an old, old Bosch 1581 (no VS) that

still
runs smoothly and cuts a tight line. I bought it used from a guy who had

used
it commercially. Very durable tool. I also haven't found the 12"

screwdiver
routine to be a problem. Nice and secure.

GTO(John)

I would probably prefer the 12" screwdriver set up over the screw top set
ups offered on a couple of brands..

I see an odd resemblance between the basic 3 types of blade change set ups
on jig saws and the starter set ups used on lawn mowers in the last 40 years
;~)

Years ago lawn mower engines were started with a rope that was not connected
to the motor. You hooked the knotted end into a notch on a spool and wound
the rope around that spool and yanked the rope when you were ready. This
was repeated until the motor started. Simple, worked well, and effective.
I compare that to the jig saws and or saber saws that use a screw driver or
hex wrench to change blades.

Then, in the early 60's lawn mower motors no longer had those loose ropes
for starting. Some thing new and clever was introduced on the engines. A
spring loaded crank. You would grab the crank handle and wind it up several
times until the spring was good and tight and then close the crank onto
itself and it would disengage the spring which would spin the motor. You
would to this several times until the motor started. Really a unique way to
crank the motor but it became tiring and time consuming. But,,,, you no
longer had to worry about keeping up with that old rope. I compare the
twist top jig saws to that set up and not having to keep up with a
screwdriver or hex wrench to change blades. It works but is not really an
improvement, just evolution.

Then in the late 60's the crank motors lost their pizzazz and the latest
design evolved. For a good 30 years now, the motors have been using a rope
again that never comes off and rewinds itself automatically after every
pull. Much easier and simpler. I compare that to the latest designs being
offered by several of the jig saw manufacturers today. I suspect this
latest design will be around for a very long time.