Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking
DoN. Nichols DoN. Nichols is offline

Default What is it? Set 265

On 2009-01-01, Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1501) My first thought about this was that it was for moving
large pieces of plate glass (given the rather unidirectional
arrangement of the wheels), but a closer look at the second
photo suggests that it is used for picking up and moving things
which have vertical posts as part of them -- perhaps a movable
section of fence.

In most cases, it would be used in pairs I think though with a
cast-iron fence it could be used to swing one section around a
pivot formed by the next fencepost.

1502) Very clear (to me) that this is an electrical splice for heavy
gauge wires. The stripped ends of two (or perhaps three) wires
are placed in the slot, and the nut with its traveling clamp
tightened down onto the wires. The herringbone pattern on the
clamp (and most likely also on the inside of the U shape). The
U is held in one wrench, while the nut is tightened by another.

The whole assembly is then wrapped in quite a few layers of
electrical insulating tape and stuffed into a protective box
with the other splices.

1503) These look like Cleco pliers except that I have never seen
any with two sets of bottom grippers of different spacing.

1504) Could this be part of a mine safety lamp? There is a naked
flame inside, and if the mine starts to accumulate flamable
gases, it starts burning on the inside of the cage, hopefully
alerting the miners. The flame can't pass through the small
holes. (Though I really thought that they were made of wire
screening instead of perforated metal. And given the size, I'm
not sure how well this particular item would block the movement
of the flame form the inside to the outside, where you *don't*
want it.

I guess that it *could* be part of a wind shield for a heavy
duty microphone -- lined with foam rubber on the inside.

1505) Perhaps a mould to make rubber balls? It looks as though
it unfolds from around whatever it is contained in a rather
thorough manner -- sufficient to allow something moulded in
there to be removed without difficulty.

Or it might be for moulding lead balls -- heavy sinkers?

I can't see whether there is an aperture in part of the darker
areas to pour in whatever.

1506) Looks like something to grip the heel of an old skiing boot,
perhaps for measuring a safety binding prior to installation on
the ski?

Or perhaps a trigger mechanism for some kind of trap?

1507) ------ Nope ------ no 1507. :-)

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564