Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Default What is it? Set 265

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 5:08*pm, "Rob H." wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Don't know ANY of them, but could not resist the opportunity to post
the first reply to a 'what is it' in 2009. :-)

Happy New Year, everyone!

--riverman
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post. You
clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails. Yeah...
I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the bottom rail would
be too low.

1502 Strange... If the thing were a splice clamp to join 2 cables, the lips
on the sliding piece are on the wrong side. Perhaps it is used to separate
a pair of cables, with one cable resting on the chevron groove and the other
in the slot in the screw. But... this doesn't account for the shape of the
top of the slider and bottom of the larger piece, which resemble a cable
splice clamp.

1505 I'm having trouble visualizing this. The first two pictures seem to be
of the same side, with the point of view moved a little bit down and right.
The third picture seems to be of the bottom. Is there something going on on
the back? I'll make a completely wild guess... A golf-ball vulcanizing
mold.

1506 Silly guess... Snow shoe binding.

"Rob H." wrote in message
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" writes:

1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post. You
clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails. Yeah...
I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the bottom rail would
be too low.

I wonder along similar lines it it's something to do with paying out, or
twisting in some way, wire fences. But I don't see why it should want
to twist (let alone twist alternate levels in opposite directions).

Is 1504 something as obvious as part of a safety light? The holes look
to large for that.
--
Online waterways route planner: http://canalplan.org.uk
development version: http://canalplan.eu
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Alexander Thesoso" scribbled:

1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post.
You clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails.
Yeah... I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the
bottom rail would be too low.

I am leaning more towards a fence post remover.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1502 Strange... If the thing were a splice clamp to join 2 cables, the
lips on the sliding piece are on the wrong side. Perhaps it is used to
separate a pair of cables, with one cable resting on the chevron groove
and the other in the slot in the screw. But... this doesn't account for
the shape of the top of the slider and bottom of the larger piece, which
resemble a cable splice clamp.

Good eye, in the first photo the nut is on upside down, but it's shown
correctly in the second picture. Apparently I wasn't paying very close
attention when I shot the photos.

1505 I'm having trouble visualizing this. The first two pictures seem to
be of the same side, with the point of view moved a little bit down and
right.

Yes

The third picture seems to be of the bottom.

Correct, though the top and bottom look the same.

Is there something going on on the back?

The back looks the same as the front. A simple description of it would be
that it's a sphere with a ring around it, with four of the vertical parts as
seen in the first two photos.

I'll make a completely wild guess... A golf-ball vulcanizing mold.

It's not a mold of any type.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1502 Electrical cable splice connector. Not to be used for cables
under stress.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1502 - Clamp to hold two cables together - or to clamp a loop of
cable. The loop would pass through an eye bolt.
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1502:
The other reply was correct, it is a "split bolt" wire splice. Around
here they seem to be generically referred to by the brand name "Burndy".

1504:
guess - inlet suction hose strainer for fire hose?

1505:
Cluster bomb bomblet.

not sure on the others...
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

" fired this volley in
:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1502 - Clamp to hold two cables together - or to clamp a loop of
cable. The loop would pass through an eye bolt.

It's called a "bug" in the electrical trade. Designed to clamp two
large conductors together.

LLoyd

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 06:57:51 -0500, Alexander Thesoso wrote:

1505 I'm having trouble visualizing this. The first two pictures seem
to be of the same side, with the point of view moved a little bit
down and right. The third picture seems to be of the bottom. Is
there something going on on the back? I'll make a completely wild
guess... A golf-ball vulcanizing mold.

That's not as wild as my first though: miniature Magdeburg sphere. :-)

1506 Silly guess... Snow shoe binding.

That *is* silly. :-p My immediate guess was Yet Another Animal Trap.

I have no guesses for the first four, however.

--
Ted S.
fedya at hughes dot net
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 05:08:21 -0500, "Rob H." wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1502. A "split bolt" for splicing electrical wires. I quoted Burndy
automation for making the part with the female thread almost 20 years
ago. The most interesting part of the project was the fact that the OD
threads are coined (cold formed) in a large high speed press.

1504. A pickup screen for pumping water out of a pond, stream, etc.
Probably for the fire department.

--
Ned Simmons
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1501 - ???

1502 - Cable splice bug. Used to connect electrical cables.

1503 - ???

1504 - 6" suction strainer. With a rocker lug connection. The loop on
the other end is for a rope. That allows it to be tied off to keep it
off the bottom and the sand/silt/dirt out of the pump.

1505 - Probably not correct but it looks like a pipe cleaning pig.

--
Steve W.
Near Cooperstown, New York
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1501 no clue The alternate clamps will alternately open or close as you
crank one direction reverse when you crank the opposite.
1502 Common electrical cable clamp
1503 No idea but I sure wouldn't mind having one for holding rope when
doing rope splices. It would allow you to hold the rope while doing the
actual splice, then you could use it to form the strands back into place
to make it a nice job.
1504 Intake stainer for a fire engine suction hose when used to draw
water from a lake or stream.

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Jan 1, 9:23*am, " wrote:
http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1502 - Clamp to hold two cables together - or to clamp a loop of
cable. The loop would pass through an eye bolt.

Another thought:

Clamp to attach a grounding wire to a rod which is driven into earth.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

" fired this volley in
:

Clamp to attach a grounding wire to a rod which is driven into earth.

Nope; ground clamps are different. That's a wire bug.

LLoyd
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

In article , "Rob H."
wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

My guesses...which are rather uneducated this week.

1501 - Possibly a tool for making the sort of fencing that consists of
slats held in place by twisted wires.

1502 - This appears to be a clamp or connector for large electric
cables, similar in action to a U-bolt but somewhat fancier in design and
construction. Presumably, this would be used to join high-voltage
distribution lines together.

1503 - Sadistic dental implement. (OK, probably not.)

1504 - Part of a filter, probably either an air filter for an engine (in
which case a foam and/or paper element would surround the perforated
cylinder) or well water (to remove suspended dirt and debris, perhaps
with a wound string element).

1505 - Bomb or grenade casing?

1506 - This appears to be placed upon a board or something, when the
pointy bit can be sprung down to leave a pointy poke mark a set distance
from the edge. I have no idea whatsoever what bigger process this might
be used for. It could perhaps be a can opener of some description, I
suppose, but seems very much overdesigned for that purpose.

Now to read other guesses.

--
Andrew Erickson

lose." -- Jim Elliot
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"Nick" wrote in message
"Alexander Thesoso" writes:

1501 Let me make a wild guess... You wheel it up to a fence-post. You
clamp it on. You turn the crank to bore 5 holes for fence rails.
Yeah...
I know it sounds like the hard way to do it. Yeah... the bottom rail
would
be too low.

I wonder along similar lines it it's something to do with paying out, or
twisting in some way, wire fences.

Correct, it's a machine used to make wire fences.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On 2009-01-01, Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1501) My first thought about this was that it was for moving
large pieces of plate glass (given the rather unidirectional
arrangement of the wheels), but a closer look at the second
photo suggests that it is used for picking up and moving things
which have vertical posts as part of them -- perhaps a movable
section of fence.

In most cases, it would be used in pairs I think though with a
cast-iron fence it could be used to swing one section around a
pivot formed by the next fencepost.

1502) Very clear (to me) that this is an electrical splice for heavy
gauge wires. The stripped ends of two (or perhaps three) wires
are placed in the slot, and the nut with its traveling clamp
tightened down onto the wires. The herringbone pattern on the
clamp (and most likely also on the inside of the U shape). The
U is held in one wrench, while the nut is tightened by another.

The whole assembly is then wrapped in quite a few layers of
electrical insulating tape and stuffed into a protective box
with the other splices.

1503) These look like Cleco pliers except that I have never seen
any with two sets of bottom grippers of different spacing.

1504) Could this be part of a mine safety lamp? There is a naked
flame inside, and if the mine starts to accumulate flamable
gases, it starts burning on the inside of the cage, hopefully
alerting the miners. The flame can't pass through the small
holes. (Though I really thought that they were made of wire
screening instead of perforated metal. And given the size, I'm
not sure how well this particular item would block the movement
of the flame form the inside to the outside, where you *don't*
want it.

I guess that it *could* be part of a wind shield for a heavy
duty microphone -- lined with foam rubber on the inside.

1505) Perhaps a mould to make rubber balls? It looks as though
it unfolds from around whatever it is contained in a rather
thorough manner -- sufficient to allow something moulded in
there to be removed without difficulty.

Or it might be for moulding lead balls -- heavy sinkers?

I can't see whether there is an aperture in part of the darker
areas to pour in whatever.

1506) Looks like something to grip the heel of an old skiing boot,
perhaps for measuring a safety binding prior to installation on
the ski?

Or perhaps a trigger mechanism for some kind of trap?

1507) ------ Nope ------ no 1507. :-)

Now to see what others have suggested.

Enjoy,
DoN.

--
Email: | Voice (all times): (703) 938-4564
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

"AL A" wrote in message
Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

1504:
guess - inlet suction hose strainer for fire hose?

This answer is correct, as others have mentioned, it's for use in lakes and
rivers.

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 05:08:21 -0500, "Rob H."
wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1506 Is a Clapboard Gauge. Similar to Patent 354,680:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=354680

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 11:18:18 -0500, Ned Simmons
wrote:

1502. A "split bolt" for splicing electrical wires. I quoted Burndy
automation for making the part with the female thread almost 20 years
ago. The most interesting part of the project was the fact that the OD
threads are coined (cold formed) in a large high speed press.

I've heard most of the names people have offered for the
"split-bolt". We always called them "Kearney's" when I was
working in the trade (shrug). I guess whatever name stuck
with us was related to one's local supply house.

--
Leon Fisk
Grand Rapids MI/Zone 5b
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

Rob H. wrote:
Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1504 strainer for bottom of suction hose when drafting water out of a creek

1502 used to connect a ground wire to a ground rod off of a electric
panel box
Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1506 Is a Clapboard Gauge. Similar to Patent 354,680:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=354680

I used the earlier patent on the answer page since the date matched the one
on the tool, though the gauge on the web site has features from both of the
patents.

The rest of the answers except for number 1503, can be seen he

http://answers265x.blogspot.com/

Rob

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

wrote:

Just posted the latest set:

http://55tools.blogspot.com/

Rob

1506 Is a Clapboard Gauge. Similar to Patent 354,680:

http://www.google.com/patents?vid=354680

I don't know how you solved that one!

The history of the clapboard fascinates me. The Pilgrims brought tools
but could not build adequate housing until Indians showed them how. The
colonists began calling weather boards "clapboards". That kind of
construction was almost unknown in England. Poor New Englanders used
wood sheathing without clapboards. It wasn't weatherproof and houses
didn't last long.

A century earlier, Verrazzano had loved his stay with Indians on the
Narragansett bay. Among other things, he loved their gentility, the
quality of their housing and boats, and the efficiency of their
manufacturing.

On Cape Cod, Pilgrims were impressed to find a fort built like a
European fort and ropes and nets manufactured like English ones. They
mentioned boards. I had thought clapboards had always been sawed, but
that didn't come about until 1780 or so. Before that, they were split
and shaved.

Indians in New England had board beds large enough for several adults.
They were known for large, comfortable dome houses made of poles covered
with mats. This construction allowed them to take their "siding" with
them if they spent summers at the shore and winters inland. For
permanent structures, I wonder if they used clapboards.

Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking,rec.puzzles,rec.woodworking

1503 Automobile battery cable remover?