Posted to alt.home.repair
Robert[_16_] Robert[_16_] is offline

Default Wall hooks without wall damage

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 16:22:41 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/1/2009 4:09 PM Robert spake thus:

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:04:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

On 1/1/2009 2:35 PM SBH spake thus:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

I understand your concern. However, the absolute best fastener I've
found for handing small items such as the ones you listed is the "Monkey
Hook", aka Hercules Hook. It's a hardened steel hook that requires
absolutely no tools to install: you simply push its sharp point through
the wall and push it in until it "locks" inside the wall. Holds about 50
lbs. easily. And best of all, it only leaves a very small hole that's
easily patched with spackle if you ever want to remove it.

Haven't used them on paneling, but they should work, provided the
paneling is thick and strong enough.

It's Billy Mayes in disguise !!!!

Yeah, amazing how I fall for those county-fair pitches. But shoot, the
things actually work as advertised.

According to a consumer reports article I saw on the tv news, they can
not hold the weight they specify. They will rip out a hunk of the
sheetrock wall. However, I have looked at them in the stores, and I
can see where they would work for simple lightweight pictures. But
pushing them thru paneling, might be tough and the hole will be the
same as that left by a nail. On the other hand, nails need to go into
the studs, the hooks need to go between them. So, both have their
place and do minimal damage for lightweight items. Just dont try to
hang heavy stuff like they show on the commercials.

I'm surprised no one had yet sued them for wall damage, or worse yet,
having a heavy item fall and injure a person. It's a false claim to
advertise they will hold 150 lbs or something like that, and that
could lead to lawsuits.

Robert