Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Wall hooks without wall damage

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

Posted to alt.home.repair
MLD MLD is offline

"SBH" wrote in message
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing
becomes that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone
used any type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold
strength and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

Actually, panel repair is much easier than drywall. Just use one of those
colored pencils sticks with a any color close to that of the paneling and
you'll never see the repair.
MLD

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 17:35:18 -0500, "SBH"
wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Use picture rail molding. Or something similar.
http://govart.com/hardware_rail_hooks.html

Jim
Posted to alt.home.repair

SBH wrote:
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls
but I really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors,
screws and/or nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility
of repairing becomes that much harder, unlike drywall patching.
Therefore, has anyone used any type of adhesive hooks or other
products which has a decent hold strength and will not put holes in
the walls?
Thank you

Adhesives will do far more damage to the wall than a single nail.

If you really want to keep the wall pristine, do like art galleries do and
hang the picture from wires that go up to the ceiling.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2009 2:35 PM SBH spake thus:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

I understand your concern. However, the absolute best fastener I've
found for handing small items such as the ones you listed is the "Monkey
Hook", aka Hercules Hook. It's a hardened steel hook that requires
absolutely no tools to install: you simply push its sharp point through
the wall and push it in until it "locks" inside the wall. Holds about 50
lbs. easily. And best of all, it only leaves a very small hole that's
easily patched with spackle if you ever want to remove it.

Haven't used them on paneling, but they should work, provided the
paneling is thick and strong enough.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

Search for a "stick and peel" type of product.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

Those adhesive things will make more of mess than a simple small brad
nail. The adhesive will not come off, and will likely remove the
paneling surface when scraped off. Just use a small brad. Drive it
into a stud. If you ever remove the picture, you only have a tiny
hole to apply some wood putty, or just drive the nail in, and use a
colored magic marker to color the head to match the panel color.

Plain picture hangers come with a small brad and work just fine.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:04:21 -0800, David Nebenzahl
wrote:

[...]

It's Billy Mayes in disguise !!!!
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/1/2009 4:09 PM Robert spake thus:

wrote:

[...]

Yeah, amazing how I fall for those county-fair pitches. But shoot, the
things actually work as advertised.

- Paulo Freire

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

According to a consumer reports article I saw on the tv news, they can
not hold the weight they specify. They will rip out a hunk of the
sheetrock wall. However, I have looked at them in the stores, and I
can see where they would work for simple lightweight pictures. But
pushing them thru paneling, might be tough and the hole will be the
same as that left by a nail. On the other hand, nails need to go into
the studs, the hooks need to go between them. So, both have their
place and do minimal damage for lightweight items. Just dont try to
hang heavy stuff like they show on the commercials.

I'm surprised no one had yet sued them for wall damage, or worse yet,
having a heavy item fall and injure a person. It's a false claim to
advertise they will hold 150 lbs or something like that, and that
could lead to lawsuits.

Robert

Posted to alt.home.repair

"SBH" wrote in message
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing
becomes that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone
used any type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold
strength and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

A small nail hole will be practically invisible and is easily filled with
colored wax or putty. If it is in a seam it it even less visible.

Don Young

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

I don't know if it applies here but in places where nails are used, I
just use thin headless nails or brads, and I use two a few inches
apart, so I don't have to worry abou them hanging crooked. It's so
simple and effective, I don't know why everyone doesn't do it.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

IN my reply about using two nails, that was when there was a wire
running across the back of the picture. All my pictures are like
that. Other situations may vary.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Thu, 1 Jan 2009 16:51:57 -0600, "HeyBub"
wrote:

SBH wrote:
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls
but I really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors,
screws and/or nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility
of repairing becomes that much harder, unlike drywall patching.
Therefore, has anyone used any type of adhesive hooks or other
products which has a decent hold strength and will not put holes in
the walls?
Thank you

Adhesives will do far more damage to the wall than a single nail.

If you really want to keep the wall pristine, do like art galleries do and
hang the picture from wires that go up to the ceiling.

Very good answer. Acturally most art galleries put up some
wood molding near the ceiling and it is shaped so they can just hang a
hook shaped hanger over the molding and suspend a wire under it to
hold the frames.

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Jan 1, 5:35*pm, "SBH" wrote:
I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

Have you looked into the Command line of products from 3M?

http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3...s_en/products/
Posted to alt.home.repair

"David Nebenzahl" wrote in message
s.com...
On 1/2/2009 6:21 AM spake thus:

wrote:

SBH wrote:

[...]

That's why it's called "picture molding" (or "moulding" if you prefer).
Never noticed it in art galleries, but it used to be installed in most
houses in the early part of the 20th century.

I added a row of picture molding under the crown molding so that it looks
like it's part of the crown molding. Now it's easy to occasionally change
out a painting or framed photo. I bought it at Home Depot, which also has
the "S" hooks that hang from the molding.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

[...]

Well, in fairness to Billy and his sponsor, have a look at this page:

http://www.herculeshook.com/?cid=239542

The "fine print" does state:

"For heavy objects over 40 lbs. use multiple hooks to distribute weight
evenly."

And I bet the same notice appears on the hook's packaging or instruction
sheet.

In the video, it does look like there's probably more than one hook used
when Billy hangs the larger stuff up.

Like we used to say about most contracts, "The large print giveth and
the small print taketh away."

Jeff

--
Jeffry Wisnia
(W1BSV + Brass Rat '57 EE)
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:

I would like to hang some plaques, pictures and misc on a few walls but I
really hate the idea of penetrating the wall with anchors, screws and/or
nails. Being that the wall is paneling, the possibility of repairing becomes
that much harder, unlike drywall patching. Therefore, has anyone used any
type of adhesive hooks or other products which has a decent hold strength
and will not put holes in the walls?

Thank you

3M makes adhesive hooks that (supposedly) won't leave any marks and
they can hold a couple pounds easily. Or, save the work and decide
not to put anything at all on the walls.