Posted to alt.home.repair
DerbyDad03 DerbyDad03 is offline

Default Can't beat Amish craftsmanship!

On Dec 31 2008, 3:37*pm, "Ed Pawlowski" wrote:
*DerbyDad03 wrote:
Having grown up (physically) in NYC, and having many, many friends and
relatives that lived in apartment buildings, I can truthfully say that
I have never heard of a "Sabbath Switch". I also don't ever recall
having an elevator stop on every floor, every Saturday.

Maybe there were never any Jews in these buildings? I think not.

Many cooking stoves also have a Sabbath mode. It is OK to adjust the
temperature, but not to start the fire.

Now this I have heard off, although it was never called Sabbath mode
when I was growing up.

I knew of families that would turn on the oven to a very low temp
before sundown on Friday night so they could use the oven on Saturday.
Same went for keeping a pot of water simmering on the stovetop so they
could use a flame. I knew of other habits, such as night lights in
dark basements, etc.

However, I have never of a Sabbath mode for elevators in high-rises.
Granted, I could be wrong, I just never heard of it in NYC.