Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Larry Jaques Larry Jaques is offline

Default Newbie rebuilding small engine. Is this normal?

On Thu, 01 Jan 2009 15:05:11 -0800, the infamous Winston
scrawled the following:

Bill Noble wrote:
(...)

you didn't ask "what is plastigage" - but I am going to just presume that
you dont' know what we are talking about - so start here
http://www.ehow.com/how_2142943_use-...learances.html

Bill, did you see the same thing I did?

The photo in step four implies a clearance of 0.0015" when the real
reading is 0.001". The user took the reading between the 0.001" line and
the 0.0015" line, not between the 'zero' line and the 0.001" line.

Unless there's a really bad parallax error there, I read 0.0015", too.
What are you saying, Winnie? There's no way to misinterpret the 0.001
and 0.0015" marks. The line between them is pencilmark thin. 'Sprain,
preese.

Would be an easy mistake to make, given the different sort of ruler shown
in 'figure 4' of the factory document:
http://www.plastigaugeusa.com/how.html

Granted, this one might be a slight bit easier to read. But the error
you speak of is gross and I can't see it being made.

------
We're born hungry, wet, 'n naked, and it gets worse from there.