David Hall

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

This thread made me go look at my combo square set to see what it is. These are
fairly old tools that were my dad's that I got after he died. It appears that
the protractor head and the center finder head is a Starrett as it says " L.S.
Starrett Co. Athol Mass U.S.A. No. 12". The rule in it has no name. The Center
Finder head has no markings, but appears to be a Starrett only because it looks
the same as the Protractor head and has the same tightening knob. It has a
nicely marked Union Tool Company rule that has been broken off at about 9". The
square head has no markings, but looks like the Starrett protractor head but
has a different shaped adjuster knob. It has no scratch awl and never did ,
there being no place for it. This one has a "Universal No. 65" 12" rule from
the Lufkin Rule Company. All I know is that the square seems square (by the
board test), the center finder seems to find the center, and the protractor
head seems dead on at any angle that I can test with something decent (i.e. 45
and 30 degrees. That old Starrett protrator head moves very smoothly and is
clearly well made. I will say that the Union Tool rule seems to fit best in
all of them sliding more smoothly than the others, too bad it was broken at
some point. I probably should get a Starrett rule for them some day.

Dave Hall