Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

Franc Zabkar wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 22:58:21 -0500, "Michael A. Terrell"
put finger to keyboard and composed:

John Navas wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 15:37:54 -0800, nospam wrote
in :

In article , SMS
wrote:

What bugs me is that anyone with an iota of technical competence can
in a matter of minutes determine the connectivity of a mini-USB cable
or a USB charger using only a $10 multimeter.

You're wrong. You can often buy digital multimeters for less than $2 at
Harbor Freight.

only if there's a harbor freight store nearby and if it's on sale.
that's not going to be the case for most people.

Not to mention the quality issue. There are some good things at HF, but
there's also a good deal of cheap crap.

Have you actually tested any of them, or are you just spitting out
more crap? Is your lab standard reference NIST traceable, and currently
certified, or are you just blowing more smoke? Do you have any idea
just how cheap .1% resistors are in OEM quantities? Or that the HF
meters use the same basic IC that the more expensive meters like Fluke
use? A lot of people on the electronics newsgroups have compared them
to expensive meters, and they are an excellent value.

Maybe this will give you an insight into John Navas's business model:
http://modemfaq.navasgroup.com/faq_f.htm#BestOfBest

After many years watching comp.dcom.modems, I saw no evidence that
John Navas tested any dialup modem on anything other than his own POTS
line(s). In fact he often expressed his disdain for the testing
standards and methodologies of others, many of whom used industry
standard telecoms simulators. Such is the arrogance of the man.

I've seen his type before. Say 'Have a nice day', and they throw a
hissy fit. Let him choke on his own bile.

--
http://improve-usenet.org/index.html

The crazy, and the insane.