Leon

Default Dewalt or Makita Jigsaw?

Before buying my Milwaukee 5 years ago I had used the Bosch and went to buy
the Bosch. The sales guy told me to compare Milwaukee to the Bosch. I
bought the Milwaukee. It was a no brainer.

If you use the saw a lot and have ever BROKEN a blade, you would appreciate
the Milwaukee blade change feature over the Bosch. While 20 seconds sounds
like a short amount of time, it becomes a pain if you remove the blade every
time to store the saw, up right in a cabinet as I do. The normal release
and install of a new blade on the Milwaukee is a 5 second ordeal with you
only needing to push a lever, pull out the blade, put in the blade and
release the lever. To put that into perspective,,,compare Dial Up
connection speed to DSL or Cable internet connection speed.. ;~)
IF, you break a blade and have little or nothing to grab, or if the blade is
too hot to handle or if you are in a hurry, simply push the lever while the
saw is still running and it will eject the blade or the "broken off flush
with the holder" piece of blade immediately.
You really have to experience it to really appreciate the difference in
convenience and time saved. Nothing wrong with the Bosch but the blade
change setup is way over engineered. The new Bosch saws are going the
Milwaukee route for blade change.

"Mike in Mystic" wrote in message
om...
I just brought home a Bosch 1584AVSK. This is the barrell-grip type jig

saw
they make.

I tried out 5 different blades on a scrap of poplar, just to see what kind
of finish they would give and to get a little practice with the tool.

What in God's name are you griping about in terms of the blade change on

the
Bosch??? It takes maybe 20 seconds to change the blade, and the blade is
LOCKED in place.

I admit to having no experience with the Milwaukee, and obviously only a
very little experience with the Bosch, but I can't imagine that someone
would not choose this jigsaw because they thought changing blades was
somehow an issue because it isn't.

Moreover, this has to be the most solid, feature-rich jigsaw I've ever

seen.
My previous experience was with a Skil 4 Amp orbital and a Craftsman one
from a long time ago, so I'm not surprised that the Bosch easily wins in

my
estimation.

The tool was only $149 at the Home Despot, and I think it was well worth

it.

Mike

--

There are no stupid questions.
There are a LOT of inquisitive idiots.

"Leon" wrote in message

"Michael" wrote in message
Hello,

I am planning on buying a real jig saw. My 23 year old Black and

Decker
died this weekend.

I have decided to fork out money for a quality jig saw. I have been

looking
at the Dewalt DW321 and the Makita 4304T.

What do people recommend? They are about the same price. Any

comments,
suggestions, advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Mike

The DeWalt's have an inherent problem with not being able to hold on to

the
blade during use. I have use used a friends and it does indeed spit out

the
blade during use. It also is HUGE. Makita would be my choice given

only
those 2 choices.

If you add Bosch or Milwaukee to that mix, you would probably end up
deciding between the Bosch and the Milwaukee. At the moment the

Milwaukee
has the edge over the Bosch MOSTLY because of the Quick blade change set

up.
The Bosch blade change setup is similar to working the combination a

Safe,
as you turn the handle this way a few times, that way a few times, and
wiggle the blade until you hear a click and so on. The good news is

that
Bosch has scrapped that set up for one similar to the Milwaukee and shou

ld
be available soon.