Posted to rec.crafts.metalworking
Bill Noble[_3_] Bill Noble[_3_] is offline

Default Newbie rebuilding small engine. Is this normal?

"stryped" wrote in message
On Dec 31, 7:15 pm, "Terry Coombs" wrote:
Tim Wescott wrote:
On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:17:10 -0800, stryped wrote:

snip

Probably on the order of .002-.004 on the big end - looser is better up to
a point with a splash lubrication system . Check the fit with plastigage
with the piston about halfway up the bore , if it's too loose the rod cap
can be filed or lightly sanded to close it up a bit . BE VERY CAUTIOUS if
you need to sand or file - a little bit goes a long ways when you're
talking
thousandths . You must also be cautious to take an even amount off both
sides - the mating surfaces MUST be flat and parallel with each other .
--
Snag
every answer

Sorry, I di dnot mean to infer that there was no bearing. It is just
that it seems alot of people mean a "main" bearing separate of the rod
when you say "rod bearing".

I measured the crank journal and it was within specs of my book. The
rod is brand new. I went ahead since my last post and put the cam in.
The sound is much less pronounced. Where do you think I should go from
here? I did not quite understand what you meant about "filing" the
bearing.

first step - did you get some plastigauge and measure the clearance? if so,
what is it?

Once you know what the clearance actually is, then we can advise you on what
to do next.

filing the bearing - take a couple of swipes on the flat surface through
which the bolts go on each side to make the bearing fit tighter. Do not do
this until you have measured the clearance with plastigauge like three
people have told you