Posted to rec.woodworking
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

I applied the sealer with a section of wadded up old t-shirt, folded to provide a flat
face to the work piece.

Rather suspect the indication is the result of an uneven edge of sealer.

Guess I will have to sand - as another poster (RicodJour) pointed out that the lacquer
won't "melt" the sealer, and I sure do not want that discontinuity propagated to the
finish coat of lacquer.

Regards,

Doug

Larry Blanchard wrote:

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:54:50 -0600, Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. wrote:

Have now noticed the presence of some very fine scratches and a slight
discontinuity in the shellac coat - not a run, but a noticeably slight
difference in thickness.

That could be the result of brushing. I've never had good luck brushing
shellac. Any overlap will show up as you describe.

I've had better luck using some of my wife's makeup remover pads wrapped
in a piece of old T-shirt. I apply a lot of very thin coats.