Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

On Wed, 31 Dec 2008 16:54:50 -0600, Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. wrote:

Have now noticed the presence of some very fine scratches and a slight
discontinuity in the shellac coat - not a run, but a noticeably slight
difference in thickness.

That could be the result of brushing. I've never had good luck brushing
shellac. Any overlap will show up as you describe.

I've had better luck using some of my wife's makeup remover pads wrapped
in a piece of old T-shirt. I apply a lot of very thin coats.

--
It's turtles, all the way down