Posted to rec.woodworking
beecrofter[_2_] beecrofter[_2_] is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

On Dec 27, 12:57*am, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:
All,

Had planned to use a tung oil finish on *red oak to be used as a model display stand -
indoor use only, and after reading the many posts on the use of this product - and those
called tung oil finishes, not confident this is the best way to go.

Desired end result is a low lustre, rich finish that can be completed in a reasonably
brief period of time.

From my limited understanding, a poly finish is not preferred.

The wood has been stained using Minwax's wood finish product.

I have a can of Bartley's gel varnish - although will likely have to destroy the can's lid
to get it off.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

wood filler for the pores in red oak followed by a light steel wool
and tack rag, a couple coats of watco or low luster poly.