Posted to rec.crafts.woodturning
nhurst nhurst is offline

Default Beginner looking for help with generic (aka "ProfessionalWoodworker") lathe

I have a "Proefssional Woodworker" 4 speed lathe that someone gave to
me after the motor capacitor died. I got it replaced and working again
and I got the HSS turning set from Harbor Freight.

I've been doing practice type projects, but the lathe only came with
the parts for spindle work. I don't have a manual or anything, and
Google has only turned up other people in my situation.

I'd like to try a bowl, but I don't know where to go to find the right
parts. How can I figure out the threading on the spindle so I can
either fabricate or purchase a faceplate?

Both the chuck and the live center are screw-on type, so I can't use
morse-tapered accessories, I believe.

I'd appreciate any help, as I really enjoy turning. It's much quieter
than my usual woodworking activities, which means it's easier for me
to sneak off to the workshop and not have to worry about waking the
kids or the neighbors.

Thanks,
Nathan