Posted to rec.woodworking
J. Clarke J. Clarke is offline

Default Exterior Wood Door

Lowell Holmes wrote:
"Lew Hodgett" wrote in message
"Warbler" wrote:
Are there any good sources
(books?) that go into all the details on how to build a a top
quality wood door.

Take a look at the NYW episode where Norm built an exterior door.

Personally, I'd take a hard look at a project like this before
undertaking it, based on the availability of composite doors which
are not only more stable, but have better insulating qualities, and
probably are less costly.

Lew

And sometimes I think this group should be the rec.mdfworking rather
than rec.woodworking :-)

I like Norms door and probably will build it, using quarter sawn
white oak. If the panels are 3 ply cross laminated, they will resist
splitting. If the door opening is a non-standard dimension, then
composite or steel doors cannot be sized to fit. If you have leaded
glass you want to keep, a ready made door will not suffice either.

There are some that prefer fiberglass boats, but then I have never
seen a Herrshoff 28 out of fiberglass.

Middleton Marine.

I still would entertain
building one if I had the energy.