Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

MiamiCuse wrote:

After browsing around the internet trying to get educated...I came
across this product.

http://www.senco.com/pdf/spec_sheets/framepro651_ss.pdf

says it will do framing, trusses, decks, and drive into concrete. So
except for finish nailing, it will serve all my needs from framing,
to reinforcing existing studs, to attic truss and framing repair, to
attaching furring strips to concrete walls...I think.

then all I need is a finish nailer for baseboards and trim later.

Thoughts?

1. You've got to use special (clipped head) nails. I'm not sure you can zip
down to HD and pick up a pack.
2. Framing nailers are the 12-guage shotguns of the nailer world. They are
POWERFUL devices and require eye and ear protection, a STRONG right arm
(they're heavy), and a bulletproof vest (groin protection encouraged).
3. For baseboards and trim you'll want a BRAD nailer. It'll shoot up to a 2"
brad easily. I got one for $20 from Harbor Freight and couldn't be more
pleased.

One difference between a framing nailer and a plam nailer is this: The
framing nailer goes "POW!" and with the release of energy equivalent to
1/8th of a stick of dynamite throws a 3" piece of steel into a hunk of
lumber. A palm nailer goes tappity-tap-tap-tap (like a hammer) until the
same result is achieved.

For handyman stuff around the house, I'd start with a palm nailer.