Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

Default Furnace running with thermostat off

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:11:58 -0600, CJT wrote:

fzbuilder wrote:

It is making heat. I have the thermostat to off and then flip back on
the breaker and furnace is at full heat.

Maybe you've got a short in the wiring between the thermostat and the
furnace. Mice that like to chew insulation will sometimes cause that.

Yeah, instead of disconnecting the thermostat at its location, it
should be disconnected at the furnace for testing. Usually not so
hard to find the wires. They are, at least in my case, either the
only small wires that go to the furnace/AC or the there is just them
and the small wires to the AC outside.