Posted to alt.home.repair

Default Furnace running with thermostat off

Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace
would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been
reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat and still
the furnace stayed on. I finally had to trip the breaker to turn it
off. I have been looking around online and a relay could be poss.
cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 9:36�pm, fzbuilder wrote:
Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace
would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been
reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat and still
the furnace stayed on. I finally had to trip the breaker to turn it
off. I have been looking around online and a relay could be poss.
cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

furnaces always run for awhile after thermostat says heat off to cool
down the heat exchanger.

how long did yours run?
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 9:36*pm, fzbuilder wrote:
Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace
would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been
reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat and still
the furnace stayed on. I finally had to trip the breaker to turn it
off. I have been looking around online and a relay could be poss.
cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Could be stuck relay on control board. If you have an older furnace,
the fan could be controlled by a temp probe inside the duct. It looks
basically like a dial that turns as the temp goes up or down.
Another possibility is your T-stat is defective, Remove the wires from
your T-stat and see if the fan goes off.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Will not stop running at all even with thermostat to off. I have to
hit the breaker. It will run all night if I don't
Posted to alt.home.repair

is the fan switch on "on" instead of auto?

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Will not stop running at all even with thermostat to off. I have to
hit the breaker. It will run all night if I don't

Posted to alt.home.repair

Furnace is a Lennox GH6D if that helps.
Posted to alt.home.repair

auto
Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 28, 9:37*pm, fzbuilder wrote:
Will not stop running at all even with thermostat to off. I have to
hit the breaker. It will run all night if I don't

Is it the blower that runs, or are you generating heat and the blower
is running. If the blower continues to run when the temperature of
the blowing air is cool, then the sensor that shuts off the blower is
defective. On older furnaces, as a previous poster said, there is a
temperature sensor that has ordinary metallic contacts that sometimes
stick. If you whack the side of the furnace and the blower stops, it
is probably sticking contacts. Newer themostats have electronic
controls that I don't know much about because I have an older fuirnace.
Posted to alt.home.repair

It is making heat. I have the thermostat to off and then flip back on
the breaker and furnace is at full heat.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Heat and blower run

Posted to alt.home.repair

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace
would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been
reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat and still
the furnace stayed on. I finally had to trip the breaker to turn it
off. I have been looking around online and a relay could be poss.
cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

When mine did that a year ago, it was a bad thermostat. It thought it was
cooler than what it read. They replaced it and it's been fine ever since.
The whole unit was only 3 yrs old.
Kathy

Posted to alt.home.repair

fzbuilder wrote:
Will not stop running at all even with thermostat to off. I have to
hit the breaker. It will run all night if I don't

Hi,
Relay stuck or newer ones have control board with relay on it.
You did not mention furnace make and model.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Furnace is a Lennox GH6D if that helps.

Posted to alt.home.repair

fzbuilder wrote:
Furnace is a Lennox GH6D if that helps.

Well it is now Monday so try contacting Lennox?

Lou
Posted to alt.home.repair
CJT CJT is offline

fzbuilder wrote:

It is making heat. I have the thermostat to off and then flip back on
the breaker and furnace is at full heat.

Maybe you've got a short in the wiring between the thermostat and the
furnace. Mice that like to chew insulation will sometimes cause that.

Posted to alt.home.repair
mm mm is offline

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 20:11:58 -0600, CJT wrote:

fzbuilder wrote:

It is making heat. I have the thermostat to off and then flip back on
the breaker and furnace is at full heat.

Maybe you've got a short in the wiring between the thermostat and the
furnace. Mice that like to chew insulation will sometimes cause that.

Yeah, instead of disconnecting the thermostat at its location, it
should be disconnected at the furnace for testing. Usually not so
hard to find the wires. They are, at least in my case, either the
only small wires that go to the furnace/AC or the there is just them
and the small wires to the AC outside.
Posted to alt.home.repair

Sounds like sticky relay on the control board. I had a couple friends with
this problem. They had replaced the thermostat four times (no kidding). I
went there on unrelaed matter, and found the house unoccupied and about 80
degrees. I asked why was the heat up so high.....

Yes, I'm the fellow who actually repaired the problem.

--
Christopher A. Young
Learn more about Jesus

"fzbuilder" wrote in message
Will not stop running at all even with thermostat to off. I have to
hit the breaker. It will run all night if I don't

Posted to alt.home.repair

"Bubba" wrote in message
On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 18:36:59 -0800 (PST), fzbuilder
wrote:

Hello all, I have a problem with my gas furnace. Last night my furnace
would not stop running even after the desired temperature had been
reached. I finial decided to turn it off from the thermostat and still
the furnace stayed on. I finally had to trip the breaker to turn it
off. I have been looking around online and a relay could be poss.
cause. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Since you've given no full model number and a very generic
explaination it the same as saying this:
I have a Buick. Sometimes in the morning it takes a while to start and
then it keeps sputtering while its running.
What could it be?
Bubba

Fuel line clog, or dirty air filter

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Dec 30 2008, 5:47*am, "Stormin Mormon"
wrote:
Sounds like sticky relay on the control board. I had a couple friends with
this problem. They had replaced the thermostat four times (no kidding). I
went there on unrelaed matter, and found the house unoccupied and about 80
degrees. I asked why was the heat up so high.....

Not finding a control board on this unit. It is prob. 20 or more years
old. The thermostat runs down to a small transformer on the wall with
2 wires. 1 red and 1 white.
Then the white wire continues to another small transformer in the
unit. This has the white wire on one side and a blue going to the
pilot.
I disconnected the white wire there and the pilot stopped come on but
blower came on.

Still stumped
Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Sounds like sticky relay on the control board. I had a couple
friends with this problem. They had replaced the thermostat four
times (no kidding). I went there on unrelaed matter, and found the
house unoccupied and about 80 degrees. I asked why was the heat up
so high.....

Not finding a control board on this unit. It is prob. 20 or more years
old. The thermostat runs down to a small transformer on the wall with
2 wires. 1 red and 1 white.
Then the white wire continues to another small transformer in the
unit. This has the white wire on one side and a blue going to the
pilot.
I disconnected the white wire there and the pilot stopped come on but
blower came on.

Still stumped

Probably an internal limit switch stuck. If so, this is a serious fire
hazard.

Posted to alt.home.repair

wrote:
Sounds like sticky relay on the control board. I had a couple
friends with this problem. They had replaced the thermostat four
times (no kidding). I went there on unrelaed matter, and found the
house unoccupied and about 80 degrees. I asked why was the heat up
so high.....

Ok, found the control box and opened it up. It has blower control with
a slider and a little knob and limit control box next to it. I taped
on both a bit and moved the slider around. Now the heat will turn off
when it reaches temperature, but the blower will run forever ever
after it has cooled down. I have it set to auto. Could it be faulty
blower control? Thanks
Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to Stormin Mormon, larry chamberlain wrote:
How did you fix the problem

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ff-350432-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Saturday, January 13, 2018 at 11:44:07 PM UTC-6, larry chamberlain wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, larry chamberlain wrote:
How did you fix the problem
--

You'll have to ask him when you get to Heaven. Chris died a few years ago while he was doing what he loved, troubleshooting HVAC equipment. He's been missed in the newsgroup. 8-(

[8~{} Uncle Sad Monster
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2018 12:44 AM, larry chamberlain wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, larry chamberlain wrote:
How did you fix the problem

He went to the rooftop and sacrificed his life to fix it.
The Mormon died about 2 years ago.
Posted to alt.home.repair

On 1/14/2018 9:53 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
On 1/14/2018 12:44 AM, larry chamberlain wrote:
replying to Stormin Mormon, larry chamberlain wrote:
How did you fix the problem

He went to the rooftop and sacrificed his life to fix it.
The Mormon died about 2 years ago.

I recall but I don't know that we ever learned whether the problem was
fixed or not...

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to fzbuilder, belleman wrote:
How did you resolve the problem? Ihave the same situation now? Thanks

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ff-350432-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair
nun nun is offline

On 05/05/2018 11:44 AM, belleman wrote:
replying to fzbuilder, belleman wrote:
How did you resolve the problem? Ihave the same situation now? Thanks

I moved the fan switch from "on" to "auto"

Posted to alt.home.repair

replying to fzbuilder, Dave Nelson wrote:
Hello, I have the same problem as posted above. My Rheem furnace will try to
start, for only 5 or 6 seconds even though my set point on the stat is
correct, and even after I turn off the thermostat, in the off position. Dave
Nelson

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ff-350432-.htm

Posted to alt.home.repair

On Tuesday, May 21, 2019 at 2:44:06 PM UTC-4, Dave Nelson wrote:
replying to fzbuilder, Dave Nelson wrote:
Hello, I have the same problem as posted above. My Rheem furnace will try to
start, for only 5 or 6 seconds even though my set point on the stat is
correct, and even after I turn off the thermostat, in the off position. Dave
Nelson

--
for full context, visit https://www.homeownershub.com/mainte...ff-350432-.htm

What kind of thermostat? Battery type? Batteries fresh? Take the
batteries out and see if it continues. If it doesn't put the batteries
back in. If it still persists, time for a new thermostat. I recommend
Honeywell VisionPro series.

Old Lennox Furnace - Model GH6 100T (maybe thermostat maybe furnace problem) jack Home Repair 5 November 9th 08 02:22 PM
programmable thermostat with running times ps56k Home Ownership 7 October 17th 08 11:18 PM
oil furnace running off inverter? miker Home Repair 18 August 17th 06 05:37 AM
running gas line for furnace [email protected] Metalworking 24 December 20th 04 09:44 PM
Frost thermostat - boiler running all night - why? DaveA UK diy 8 February 15th 04 01:52 PM