Posted to alt.home.repair
HeyBub[_3_] HeyBub[_3_] is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

Jim Elbrecht wrote:
"MiamiCuse" wrote:

I rarely use hammers & nails as I typically prefer to use screws
over nails.

Screws have their good points- but remember that their shear strength
is the weak spot.

However once in a while I need to use nails.

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail
wood gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle
is awkward. I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and
messing up the nails as I hammer them in. I don't think this is
productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being
bent?

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I
cannot use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

I haven't used one- but I have been thinking about picking one up for
a tight spot like you've got there-
Air palm hammer- $30

Yeah, I just got one of these - swell little device.

Sumbitch will drive a railroad spike into a steel I-beam!

It's got a itty-bitty piston inside that uses 90psi of air-pressure to throw
a slammer gizmo about 1/4" But it does this about a thousand times a minute
and in less time than it takes to swing a hammer the nail is driven home (or
bent into a pretzel and firmly imbedded in the work where it adds a quaint
patina to the project).

Mine came with several "bits." There's the regular bit of course, then one
with a magnet to hold the nail, another for finishing nails (it's smaller in
diameter), and one that just knocks without any pretense of holding a nail.
I don't know what you'd use the last one for - maybe scootching a board into
position?