Posted to alt.home.repair
miamicuse miamicuse is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

"ransley" wrote in message
On Dec 25, 7:10 pm, "MiamiCuse" wrote:
"BobK207" wrote in message

On Dec 24, 5:25 am, "MiamiCuse" wrote:

I rarely use hammers & nails as I typically prefer to use screws over
nails.

However once in a while I need to use nails.

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail
wood
gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle is
awkward.
I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and messing up the
nails
as
I hammer them in. I don't think this is productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being bent?

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I
cannot
use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

Unless I can use screws to serve the same purpose and drive them using a
power drill with a tight angle attachment.

Thanks,

MC
MC-
I was quite handy with a hammer (when younger & much more
practiced). As I have gotten older one trick that works for me is a
mill faced hammer. The milled face keeps hammer from slipping off the
nail head & reduces the tendency to bend the nails.
But in your situation, since this is going to be a "one off" project,
I would suggest a palm nailer.
I bought my Senco used on ebay but I'm sure Harbor Freight has a cheap
knock off.
You could also use a Senco 16 gage 7/16" crown stapler w/ 2"
staples. And staple the crap out of the plywood gussets. Based on
some strength & stiffness tests I did .......... I figured two
staples have "about" the same capacity as one 10d nail.
Another nice thing about staples is that the "trauma" to the wood is a
lot less than that for large diameter nails.
cheers
Bob

Bob:

Thanks,

The problem is I don't have a compressor to drive the palm nailer anyways,
so either way I think I need to spend some money on something to make the
job easier. I have three areas in the attic to use this on, so it will
help
me greatly if this is a time and elbow grease saver. I deliberately waited
till winter time to do this project because summer time in Miami up in the
attic at 105 degrees in an awkward position is not fun, further more I
recently strained my back so that also made it harder for me to have the
maximum effect on hammering.

Looking further ahead on my fasteners need in my never ending remodeling
job, I am going to subcontract the sheet rock and flooring, so I don't
need
to worry about that myself. I will need to repair some 1/2" thick wood
soffit ceiling panels "Ply-Bead" that I need to either nail or staple, I
have 7 rooms of baseboards and interior door trims which I will do myself
(finish nailers), and quite a few furring strips and panels I need to
attach
to concrete walls (to attach cabinets and shelving and industrial
lighting),
so perhaps if I look ahead if might pay for me to invest in a good
compressor and some air tools. I would rather get fewer good quality tools
then a bunch of one off items.

Is there an air tool that would do finish nailing, structural nailing, and
also punch wood into concrete?

MC- Hide quoted text -

The New Craftman nailer tool is a Battery operated nailer, very small,
But a cheap Remington gun nail driver is quicker and a heavy duty
tool, and you will get a bang out of work. The Craftsman will only
give you a buzz.

I heard that the remington gun nailer is very loud (almost like a gun shot)
is that true?