Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Toilet cistern filling too fast?

Rod wrote:
The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
On 28 Dec, 12:23, stuart noble wrote:

Could you install a service valve on the supply & leave it partly
closed to reduce the incoming flow?
There's already such a valve, and this is what I've done temporarily.
Can't say I regard it as a good long-term fix though,

Can't see a long term problem with it.

I have been thinking about precisely this recently. (Replaced kitchen
mixer - and changed a leaking under-the-sink stopcock for a full bore
valve. Flow and pressure seem too high now on cold water.)

Thought that there might be a problem with scale building up on one side
of the valve (inside, that is). Would the slower flow just past the
partially open valve tend to scale up? Or not? Tossed the ideas back and
forth in my head - and couldn't decide. Does anyone have experience of
doing this, long term, in a very hard water area?

Did it in an upstairs toilet to stop the thud when the valve shut off.
The valve is turned to about 25% on, and has been working just fine for
the last 3 years or so.