Posted to rec.woodworking
Han Han is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

"Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr." wrote in
:

Everyone,

Many Thanks for the great suggestions - there just is nothing better
than to benefit from the experience of others.

Of all the recommendations, the shellac and spray lacquer finish
sounds best to me.

The wood has several linear areas extending the full length that have
very open grain - bigger than pores, IMO.

Will shellac fill openings in the grain that are deep enough to catch
a finger nail?

What about specific manufacturer / product recommendations - are there
products to avoid or specifically try to use?

Realize this will certainly be the result of individual experiences -
which are infinitely better than mine, which are none.

Checking the Minwax products - see they have a clear brushing lacquer
- however no spray lacquer.

Again - my sincerest Thanks to everyone for their valuable comments,
which will be retained for future reference.

Regards,

Doug

snip

some years ago I made a simple footstool of red oak, and to fill the
grgain I used Behlen's Pore-O-Pac (and the solvent to adjust the
consistency). I got the idea from someone here ...

That sure did that job, but it also made the wood much lighter in color.
I probably should have adjusted the pigment somehow, but wasn't
experienced in doing things like that (still am inexperienced). After
that, shellac and polyurethane. That has been quite durable over the
just about 8 years in use. Photo's on abpw.

--
Best regards
Han