Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

On Dec 28, 10:09 am, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:

Will shellac fill openings in the grain that are deep enough to catch a finger nail?

No. Shellac or any other finish will simply mirror the texture of the
substrate you are finishing. And with red oak... you couldn't have
picked a tougher wood to try to smooth out. The tubules are deep and
large, and while many finishes will easily span the pores, they will
not fill them on their own. The exception being of course, that you
use the classic approach of applying several thick built up coats that
you will cut down later with a buffer or using the french polish
method.

Make no mistake, the shellac or any other finish will help mitigate
the texture of the pores, but it won't go away by a long shot. If the
project isn't too big, apply the shellac, let it sit for a couple of
days, then sand it smooth. Apply a couple more coats in the same
fashion, sanding all coats with at least 220 grit quality sandpaper,
cleaning with mineral spirits in between sandings. Carefully sand
with the grain.

Resist the temptation so sand with anything higher than 320 grit.
With finishes that resolvate (dissolve into each other rather than
simply adhering) there simply isn't any need to do so. If you finish
"balls" or "rolls" up under your sandpaper (wrapped around a block,
right?) you need to give your finish more cure time. The lacquer will
not melt into the shellac, so make the last coat of shellac as smooth
as you can.

Apply the lacquer over the final shellac coat. I wouldn't put less
than three coats of lacquer over this. You will be surprised how well
the shellac/lacquer combo will hold up.

What about specific manufacturer / product recommendations - are there products to avoid
or specifically try to use?

Personally, I have had great experiences with Deft lacquer for years.
It sprays well and has a good quality nozzle on the can so it will lay
out a nice finish. After using spray can, if there is material left
in the can remember to turn it upside down and spray out the remaining
material in the pickup tube and the nozzle. It will spray almost pure
air when the nozzle is clean.

I have also used the newer Rustoleum clear lacquers and the best
aspect of them is they dry really hard for a lacquer. The coats build
nicely and it is easy to apply.

I would personally stay away from the water borne stuff in a spray can
as no one I know has had any luck with them yet. I read (although I
haven't used them) that there are problems with the applicators, with
recoating, and with witness lines.

Realize this will certainly be the result of individual experiences - which are infinitely
better than mine, which are none.

You are in pretty good hands around here. There are many that do
finishing here (like me) professionally as part of their business.
Read through the archives of the group and you will find all kinds of
methods and experiences on finishing.

Checking the Minwax products - see they have a clear brushing lacquer - however no spray
lacquer.

I wouldn't tackle brushing lacquer unless you have a really small
project. Brushing lacquer requires patience, the right equipment and
the right technique. I have used a lot of brushing lacquer, but only
if it is a smooth, featureless surface like a door. Even then, I pad
it as brushing a couple of larger pieces out was a real pain.

I still remember my first brushing of lacquer as it was a disaster. I
was used to "long oils" and paints that gave you plenty of time to go
over any brush strokes or holidays left behind.

Not so with the lacquer. For me, it was like brushing on warm taffy.
The first few brush strokes were great, after that it was all down
hill. Everything started to dry immediately, any attempts at repairs
"on the fly" were disaster, and the brush became a clump of semi dried
resins. I found out at that time any brush strokes, holidays, or bugs
can only be sanded out after a proper curing time.

After I learned how easy lacquer was to spray, I have never brushed
anything since that time (25 years?).

Good luck on your project and let us know how it came out.

Robert