Posted to rec.woodworking
Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr. is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

Everyone,

Many Thanks for the great suggestions - there just is nothing better than to benefit from
the experience of others.

Of all the recommendations, the shellac and spray lacquer finish sounds best to me.

The wood has several linear areas extending the full length that have very open grain -
bigger than pores, IMO.

Will shellac fill openings in the grain that are deep enough to catch a finger nail?

What about specific manufacturer / product recommendations - are there products to avoid
or specifically try to use?

Realize this will certainly be the result of individual experiences - which are infinitely
better than mine, which are none.

Checking the Minwax products - see they have a clear brushing lacquer - however no spray
lacquer.

Again - my sincerest Thanks to everyone for their valuable comments, which will be
retained for future reference.

Regards,

Doug

Jimmy Mac wrote:

On Dec 26, 9:57*pm, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:
All,

Had planned to use a tung oil finish on *red oak to be used as a model display stand -
indoor use only, and after reading the many posts on the use of this product - and those
called tung oil finishes, not confident this is the best way to go.

Desired end result is a low lustre, rich finish that can be completed in a reasonably
brief period of time.

From my limited understanding, a poly finish is not preferred.

The wood has been stained using Minwax's wood finish product.

I have a can of Bartley's gel varnish - although will likely have to destroy the can's lid
to get it off.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

First a very light coat of shellac to close all the pores of the
wood. Then (and whooda thunkut) Minwax Poly Urethane. Several thin
coats - at least 7 and the final coat can be wet sanded with 800 grit
wet or dry paper with a mist of water. This will be a high coat as
smooth as glass and hard as a rock. Just a suggestion since the call
me Minwax Mac besides Jummy. LOL!