Posted to uk.d-i-y
Stuart Noble Stuart Noble is offline

Default Toilet cistern filling too fast?

The Medway Handyman wrote:
Andy Dingley wrote:
Is it traditional to use the half-hour gap between visiting relatives
to re-plumb toilets over Christmas? 8-(

Seems like it. Except in my case its rewiring some lights.
SNIP
Now it's all back together and leak-free, but seems to have trouble
with the flush itself - the syphon doesn't stop syphoning. My
suspicion is that the fast-filling Fluidmaster simply starts to re-
fill the cistern before it's fully emptied and breaks the syphon.
After all, Delchem's design is based around a flapper valve rather
than a syphon. Is there anything I can do to regulate this? At present
I've just left the supply ball valve at 45o, which isn't quite ideal.

Could you install a service valve on the supply & leave it partly closed to
reduce the incoming flow?

Nothing in the Fluidmaster itself I suppose? ISTR a flow reducer plastic
thing that you reversed for mains pressure.
I know someone who was well chuffed over Xmas when he changed syphon,
donut etc without leaks, only to find the screw holes in the the cistern
didn't quite line up when he'd finished. No way of getting the angle to
drill new ones so Velcro will have to do for now.