Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
Franc Zabkar Franc Zabkar is offline

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 15:04:33 -0800, John Navas
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 10:03:03 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote in
:

On Sat, 27 Dec 2008 14:29:27 -0800, John Navas
put finger to keyboard and composed:

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:22:08 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote in
:

The pinouts.ru URL which I alluded to earlier clearly demonstrates
that Motorola uses some kind of proprietary passive signalling method
at the charger end of the cable. It does not suggest, and nor did I
suggest, that the actual cable is any different than a standard cable.
I'm assuming that the original charging cable has 5 pins at both ends.
If it has 4, then that creates a problem, unless the required resistor
is embedded in the cable, which would then make the cable
non-standard.

Charging only requires either (a) a *standard* (not proprietary)
5-connection Mini-USB cable or (b) a Motorola USB driver. The Motorola
charger simply conforms to the standard.

Does the USB standard specify how a charger is to behave? What does it
have to say about the fact that Motorola chargers short the Data+ and
Data- pins (according to pinouts.ru)?

Does the required "standard" cable, when connected to a charger, need
to have 5 pins at both ends?

Whatever you say, Franc. [sigh]

What is that supposed to mean? Is it so hard for you to quantify what
*you* mean by "standard cable"? I have never seen a Blackberry or
Motorola mini-USB cable. Have you? What's on either end? Four pins or
five pins? Is the ID pin grounded or floating? At which end?

- Franc Zabkar