Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
John Navas[_2_] John Navas[_2_] is offline

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Sun, 28 Dec 2008 09:22:08 +1100, Franc Zabkar
wrote in
:

The pinouts.ru URL which I alluded to earlier clearly demonstrates
that Motorola uses some kind of proprietary passive signalling method
at the charger end of the cable. It does not suggest, and nor did I
suggest, that the actual cable is any different than a standard cable.
I'm assuming that the original charging cable has 5 pins at both ends.
If it has 4, then that creates a problem, unless the required resistor
is embedded in the cable, which would then make the cable
non-standard.

Charging only requires either (a) a *standard* (not proprietary)
5-connection Mini-USB cable or (b) a Motorola USB driver. The Motorola
charger simply conforms to the standard.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John