Posted to rec.woodworking
Jimmy Mac Jimmy Mac is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

On Dec 27, 3:32*pm, jo4hn wrote:
Jimmy Mac wrote:
On Dec 26, 9:57 pm, "Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr."
wrote:
All,

Had planned to use a tung oil finish on *red oak to be used as a model display stand -
indoor use only, and after reading the many posts on the use of this product - and those
called tung oil finishes, not confident this is the best way to go.

Desired end result is a low lustre, rich finish that can be completed in a reasonably
brief period of time.

From my limited understanding, a poly finish is not preferred.

The wood has been stained using Minwax's wood finish product.

I have a can of Bartley's gel varnish - although will likely have to destroy the can's lid
to get it off.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Regards,

Doug

First a very light coat of shellac to close all the pores of the
wood. *Then (and whooda thunkut) *Minwax Poly Urethane. *Several thin
coats - at least 7 and the final coat can be wet sanded with 800 grit
wet or dry paper with a mist of water. *This will be a high coat as
smooth as glass and hard as a rock. *Just a suggestion since the call
me Minwax Mac besides Jummy. * LOL!

Was it C-less that called it min-whacks? *I know he loved polyurinestain.