Posted to rec.woodworking
RicodJour RicodJour is offline

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

On Dec 27, 9:35*am, Otoe wrote:

I'm surprised no one mentioned shellac. *Shellac seals and dries very
quickly. *It shows off the grain too. *Applying several coats doesn't
take long either. *I'd use a 2lb cut with pad applicator. *You can
lay at least 3 coats per day with very light sanding between coats.
*In three days, it is done and dry enough for delivery: although,
give it a month before any furniture wax.

I like shellac as well, though I'm not sure if I'd use it as my
finish. For a model stand, it'd probably be fine, but I like
something that is a little more impervious.

I like to stain, apply a thin coat of shellac to seal the pores and
act as a barrier coat, then use a satin finish brushing lacquer. Lots
of warmth, no bleed out in porous woods, and it's a fast finish.