Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
John Navas[_2_] John Navas[_2_] is offline

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 23:18:25 -0800, Pat Cheney wrote
in :

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:59:39 -0800 (PST), Jerry G. wrote:

If I want to charge the Motorola phone on a PC, I have to have their
full program software installed. To recharge the Blackberry I can have
their simple stand alone driver installed on any PC. I don't need the
complete software package.

Hi Jerry G.
Thank you! You are the voice of reason, experience, and knowledge!

Except he's not entirely correct. See my follow-up.
You've made the same mistake you made with the camera.

You've solved a problem that caused me a problem in the past!

This explains why I couldn't charge my daughter's Motorola RAZR on a
vacation this summer. I thought it was the cable even though I had used the
cable on my Blackberry and it worked just fine. I threw away the mini-usb
cable thinking it was bad! Now I know it wasn't bad. It was just not the
Motorola mini-usb cable!

No, it was just not a standard Mini-USB cable.
Many cables don't do the ID properly.

PS: The solution is to buy a new Motorola cable, and return the brand new
Blackberry cable in its place.

RAZR V3 will not charge by simply supplying 5V through USB (it"s possible
to use a common USB cable for charging if you are using the Motorola
special PC driver software).

Any standard 5-connector cable will do.

Motorola uses the pin between Pin #3 and #4 (Pin X) to sense what device is
attached to the mini-USB port.

That's the standard.

Shorting Pin #3 to #2 and #X causes the
phone to go into handsfree/carkit mode and the LCD backlight will ignore
timeout settings and stay on.
Shorting pin X to pin 2 and to pin 4 via R=200KOhm causes the phone to go
into charge mode.
[snip]

Not correct. Read the standard definition.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John