Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
John Navas[_2_] John Navas[_2_] is offline

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 12:33:36 -0800, Pat Cheney wrote
in :

I never buy a cell phone without finding out first if it's mini-usb or not.
Same with headphones and gps navigation units.

One problem I've found with cellphones is Motorola. For some reason,
Motorola USB is "special" USB.

I've found that Motorola chargers work fine with all other phones but
Motorola phones don't work well with the other chargers. ...

This is actually just a matter of the wrong cable / connection.

The problem is that not all Standard-A to Mini-B USB cables are the same
-- there are both 5-connection cables and 4-connection cables, and only
proper 5-connector cables will work properly without a Motorola USB
driver. Standard USB has only 4 connections. Mini USB has 5
connections, the extra connection being the device ID pin.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John