Posted to rec.photo.digital,sci.electronics.repair
John Navas[_2_] John Navas[_2_] is offline

Default Why don't camera reviews cover the data connection to the PC?

On Fri, 26 Dec 2008 15:59:39 -0800 (PST), "Jerry G."
wrote in
:

We have two Motorola phones in our family and I have a Blackberry. The
Blackberry can be recharge on most any standard mini USB cable from
most any of the standard mini USB chargers or car adaptors. This is
also including the Motorola charger and Motorola car adaptor.

The Motorola phone can only be recharged with the dedicated Motorola
charger. To use a generic charger with the Motorola phone it must be
specified for Motorola phones. This also applies to the car adaptors.

If I want to charge the Motorola phone on a PC, I have to have their
full program software installed. To recharge the Blackberry I can have
their simple stand alone driver installed on any PC. I don't need the
complete software package.

What they did with the Motorola product is that the charger's voltage
control circuits have to send to the phone an ID data packet to tell
the phone that it is allowed to be recharged with that device. ...

Not so. It's simply a matter of the number of pins in the connector,
and the right signals on those pins. My Motorola V3xx charges just fine
from my computer with nothing from Motorola installed.

--
Very best wishes for the holiday season and for the coming new year,
John