Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Suggestions for red oak finish

"Douglas R. Hortvet, Jr." wrote:

Had planned to use a tung oil finish on red oak to be used as a
model display stand -
indoor use only, and after reading the many posts on the use of this
product - and those
called tung oil finishes, not confident this is the best way to go.

Desired end result is a low lustre, rich finish that can be
completed in a reasonably
brief period of time.

From my limited understanding, a poly finish is not preferred.

The wood has been stained using Minwax's wood finish product.

I have a can of Bartley's gel varnish - although will likely have to
destroy the can's lid
to get it off.

Any and all recommendations are greatly appreciated.

Personally, I would get a pint of boiled linseed oil and a pint of
turpentine and some wiping rags.

Cut BLO with turps per instructions on can and wipe on, wipe off per
instructions.

Johnson's paste wax after BLO/turps dries (20-30 days) is optional.

Have fun.

Lew