Bannerstone

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

Truthfully Bob, you can do fine woodwork with either. I used a cheap stanley as
child for my tool pouch, its been dropped plenty, its still around somewhere and
plenty useable for carpentry work. Now of course I've used Starrett and Millers
Falls machinist quality Comb. squares here in the shop and its really hard to go
back once you've used really nicely made tools. It took me a good long while
combing the flea markets and the bay for a good deal and I'm glad I waited
because I fould some very good deals and acquired quite a lot of Starret tools
that are useful for woodworking. And your odds of getting a quality used tool
are really pretty good when you're buying high end stuff like Starrett.

My advice, keep an inexpensive square for outside the shop, not necessarily a
comb square, tri squares, machinist's squares and aluminum framing squares are
very handy too and affordable. Then keep your eye out for a machinist quality
square at a good price.

David

P.S. As you grow older and your eyesight changes you'll appreciate the
readability of the Starrett scales.

In article . net, Bob Davis
says...

What meaningful, measurable difference would I get in a Starrett brand vs.
the Johnson? I believe in paying for quality I can use, but not for just a
famous brand name.

Bob