Posted to alt.home.repair
Red Green Red Green is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

Jim Elbrecht wrote in
:

"MiamiCuse" wrote:

-snip-
The problem is I don't have a compressor to drive the palm nailer
anyways, so either way I think I need to spend some money on something
to make the

-snip-

I haven't hired a pro for anything but autowork in 30 years.

Ditto

Yet
it was just a couple years ago that I bought my [first] compressor.

Ditto

Shaking my head now when I think of how much I could have used it over
the years.

and more ditto.

I have a cheap Harbor freight job- 10gallons, rated 2HP- about $120 on
sale. It is a little slow for grinding, die cutting and
sandblasting. But I've nailed, painted, blown things clean, etc to my
hearts content.

Is there an air tool that would do finish nailing, structural nailing,
and also punch wood into concrete?

For nailers I have a Porter Cable FR350 framer that drives 3 1/2" full
headed nails; a Bostitch finish nailer that drives 1" to 2" finish
nails; and a couple $10 brad nailers and staplers from Harbor Freight.

Driving finish nails and not having to go back and set them is a real
pleasure. The brad nailers are pretty handy, too. I don't do a
lot of framing but if I did I can see where the framer would be a big
timesaver. For me it just saves my elbow joints.

For attaching framing lumber to concrete I like Tapcons. There is a
T-nailer that drives hardened nails, but I've never seen one at work.

Jim