Paul Prunkel

Default Starrett combination square - worth the price

Get one that you're happy with for the time being. Check (here we go again,
sorry)yard sales and flea markets, I got a 4 piece starrett for $30.

"Silvan" wrote in message
K.-Benoit Evans wrote:

Is there anything to choose from between the Stanley and Johnson, at the
low end, and the Starrett? Are there any brands (or even one) in between
the two extremes?

Dunno. Personally, I *like* my Johnson square. If I hadn't been told so
many times by the precision nazis what a lowly pile of junk the thing is,
I'd actually think I had bought a nice, well-made tool. It's much better
than the rusty pile of junk it replaced, which might have been a Stanley.

Spend $70 if you can afford it. I can't see putting that much of my
extremely limited budget into something that boring.

Now of course I'm not a Real Woodworker, and I'm not being presumptuous
enough to claim that the precision nazis are wrong. I'm just saying that
you can enjoy making sawdust--and even turn out projects that really
impress people who don't know any better--without raising the bar that
high.

--
Michael McIntyre ---- Silvan
Confirmed post number: 18027 Approximate word count: 540810