Posted to rec.woodworking
whit3rd whit3rd is offline

Default Work Bench

On Dec 22, 9:44*pm, wrote:

Somewhere recently I read about a woodworker that equipped his bench
with T-slots instead of dogholes.

The problem I see is you'd need a knob sticking out. *If you want to
hand plane something you need to set the dog below the surface of the
stock.

Well, think about it some more. Any size or shape dog of any
material (wood, plastic, aluminum) can be mounted to a
small shoe that rides in the bottom of the T slot, with a setscrew
through the shoe to clamp the dog. There's no need for the
T-slot to be accompanied by a stick-up bolt, of the
metalwork milling holddown style.

How about a dovetail slot instead of T slot? It doesn't need metal
parts,
and a wedged dovetail dog would be easy to build.