Posted to rec.woodworking

Default Work Bench

zxcvbob wrote:
Leon wrote:
For years I have been threatening to build a legitimate work bench. I
have been using fold up ones and steel ones but I want a wood top with
dog holes and a couple of vices.

Because there is a rather large investment in the "TOP" I have kicked
around using several different less expensive materials. In recent
years the replaceable MDF top has been popular with many magazines. I
forget what I was building several months ago but I ended up having
several pieces of 1/2" Baltic Birch plywood stacked up and noticed
that they looked quite substantial.

I am wondering if any one has used Baltic Birch ripped in to "lot's"
of strips and glued up on the faces to make a bench top. Basically
the edges of all the Baltic Birch plywood would be facing up and down
to form the top of the top.

Ideas appreciated

Leon

Best thing I have found for the top is a used solid interior door. I
bought a discarded hospital door for about $5 or $10 a few years ago.
Would have cost me at least 10x that much to build a hardwood slab like
that.

Bob

Have to agree ,Thats what I used ,two laminated together would make a
very substantial bench top.

--
Kevin (Bluey)

Posted to rec.woodworking

"Leon" wrote in
:

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
Somewhere recently I read about a woodworker that equipped his bench
with T-slots instead of dogholes.

I haven't really considered all the pros and cons of it, but the idea
is interesting. Anyone here done this? Any opinions?

IIRC I saw that too. WoodWhisperer maybe.

I remember seeing some discussion about it here on the wRECk. Maybe
that'll give you a starting point for further searches?

Puckdropper
--
On Usenet, no one can hear you laugh. That's a good thing, though, as
some writers are incorrigible.

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 23, 12:28 am, Puckdropper puckdropper(at)yahoo(dot)com wrote:
"Leon" wrote :

"Larry Blanchard" wrote in message
news
Somewhere recently I read about a woodworker that equipped his bench
with T-slots instead of dogholes.

I haven't really considered all the pros and cons of it, but the idea
is interesting. Anyone here done this? Any opinions?

IIRC I saw that too. WoodWhisperer maybe.

I remember seeing some discussion about it here on the wRECk. Maybe
that'll give you a starting point for further searches?

The problem I see is you'd need a knob sticking out. If you want to
hand plane something you need to set the dog below the surface of the
stock. Unless you made your stop really long with the knob at the back
end it would be in the way, and that would effectively reduce the
length of your bench. Plus in the course of resurfacing the top
eventually you'd get to where you had to remove it and make the slot
deeper, even if you started with it recessed a bit.

-Kevin
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:

That bit of information probably would have been helpful. ;!) I am wanting
a "flat" work bench to shape wood and or use for assembly of furniture. I
really want to get something bigger than my TS top. LOL

Personally, The only clear surface in my shop that I can use for
furniture assembly is my table saw and small parts of the floor. If you
really need a flat surface, really flat and really stable, then you need
to build a torsion box with plywood on both sides and an optional easily
replaceable hard board top.

My work benches all have 2x6 tops made out of cheap, construction grade
2x's. They look good (like wood) and are strong enough for anything I've
ever done. My main workbench is 30 years old, and has been used to
build fine furniture, junk furniture, repair electric motors, rebuild
gas engines, sharpen chain saws and about every other task one can come
up with over a life time. I look at all the fancy "cabinet makers" work
benches with the 3" hard wood tops, tool trays and what not and I shake
my head... If I made one of these things I'd be afraid to use it, and
besides, they generally have no storage in them and I would never build
a bench, work bench, tool stand etc. without storage. I don't really
care how big your shop is, you need more storage.

Is my main bench top beat up? Damn right it is, but it looks better to
me than the day I built it. I planned on having to refinish or replace
it periodically, but no way, no how. This is cheap, soft construction
grade pine. Whats nice about that is I was never afraid to use it, I
could always replace it easily and cheaply if I wanted too, just never
found the need.

I might add I haven't seen much of the top in a few years, it is
habitually covered in "stuff" If my memory is working, you are the guy
that posted a picture of your bench in a once in a blue moon
semi-uncluttered condition?

--
Jack
http://jbstein.com

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 7:06*pm, Larry Blanchard wrote:

Somewhere recently I read about a woodworker that equipped his bench with
T-slots instead of dogholes.

I haven't really considered all the pros and cons of it, but the idea is
interesting. *Anyone here done this? *Any opinions?

I don't know if this is going thru twice or not as my ISP connection
went berzerk once I sent the message.

Could htis be the plans you may have seen for a benchtop with T-slots?

http://www.bobsplans.com/FreePlans/DNLD/Workbench.pdf

It seems somewhat intriqing to me but I am also afraid of the top that
is made entorely of MDF. I was wondering if a piece or two of MDF
sandwiched between pieces of plywood would be better for a top.

I can see where the T-slots could be extremely helpful and you
wouldn't get the wear teh dog holes would probably cause in the MDF
but I am afraid there may be other problems specific to the T-slots
that may even be worse then screwed up dog holes....

ray
Posted to rec.woodworking

Phisherman wrote:

Any wood will work. My benchtop is glued up 2x4 pine studs, finished
with danish oil. Spent lots of time flattening the top. I redo the
top every 3-4 years. A good bench should be large, sturdy and
heavy.

Thats what I made my first bench out of but I ripped the things into
2x2's and glued them up. Still going strong after 30 years but that was
my very first wood working project. I've since learned it's much better
to use 2 x 6's as they are about as cheap, easier to find higher quality
boards than the studs, and glue up is simple and fast.
--
Jack
http://jbstein.com
Posted to rec.woodworking

"Jack Stein" wrote in message
Leon wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jack, I keep you comments in mind. The torsion box idea might be a
good alternative. On the other hand I am not afraid of using a bench. ;~)
Few of my tools or equipment look pristine. If I posted a picture of my
bench it was a steel automotive work bench. Other than that I have a B&D
work table about 3' square that I have had for almost 30 years.
I would really like to remove the steel top from my current bench and hang
it on the back side of a mobile "wooden" work bench so that I could fold it
up and make my work surface area larger if needed.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I picked up a 3'6" exterior solid core plain door at a contractor's
garage sale for a few bucks. Works great. Has a tempered masonite type
finish.

Chuck P.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm 6' tall, and mobile bases usually add just
enough to machines to be right for me. Even if I'm not wanting a
machine to move, I like the extra height.

Yup, eliminating that little bit of stooping saves a back-ache later in the
day. I also picked up room for another shelf under the bench just by
raising it a few inches, and there's no such thing as too much storage
space.

Posted to rec.woodworking

DGDevin wrote:
B A R R Y wrote:

I know what you mean. I'm 6' tall, and mobile bases usually add just
enough to machines to be right for me. Even if I'm not wanting a
machine to move, I like the extra height.

Yup, eliminating that little bit of stooping saves a back-ache later in the
day. I also picked up room for another shelf under the bench just by
raising it a few inches, and there's no such thing as too much storage
space.

Not to mention how stored items help keep a bench in place!
Posted to rec.woodworking

Leon wrote:
"TD Driver" wrote in message
I've built a couple of benches over the past 20 years and the best top was
made from a hunk of bowling lane I picked up when one of the local
establishments went out of business. I regret the day that I decided to
leave that bench in the basement of a house we were renting.

I bet that worked out well, did you find any nails in the wood?

Of course. Some nails were found in advance of the cut, some were found
during it. The former were removed with a great sense of satisfaction.
The remainder not so much.
Posted to rec.woodworking

B A R R Y wrote:

Yup, eliminating that little bit of stooping saves a back-ache later
in the day. I also picked up room for another shelf under the bench
just by raising it a few inches, and there's no such thing as too
much storage space.

Not to mention how stored items help keep a bench in place!

Exactly, loading up those shelves really stabilized a fairly small bench. I
even used that to rationalize buying some heavy tools to put on the shelves.
;~)

Posted to rec.woodworking

Did the same thing, 2x4's on edge, but I drilled holes through each every
18" and used long all thread and torqued them together.. That was 25 years
ago, still going strong

Phisherman wrote:

On Mon, 22 Dec 2008 12:00:32 -0600, "Leon"
wrote:

[...]

"You can lead them to LINUX
but you can't make them THINK"
Website Address http://rentmyhusband.co.nr/

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Tue, 23 Dec 2008 20:11:24 -0500, B A R R Y wrote:

I think the people who install t-tracks in a bench don't do much hand
tool work.

I'm not going to get rid of my dogholes, but I very well might add a row
or two of T-trak as an adjunct.

Posted to rec.woodworking

I think the people who install t-tracks in a bench don't do much hand
tool work.

I'm not going to get rid of my dogholes, but I very well might add a row
or two of T-trak as an adjunct.

I guess I don't see the point, IF one already has the clamps and
everything to go with dog holes.

--

-MIKE-

--Elvin Jones (1927-2004)
--
http://mikedrums.com

---remove "DOT" ^^^^ to reply
Posted to rec.woodworking

On Wed, 24 Dec 2008 11:55:09 -0600, -MIKE- wrote:

I think the people who install t-tracks in a bench don't do much hand
tool work.

I'm not going to get rid of my dogholes, but I very well might add a row
or two of T-trak as an adjunct.

I guess I don't see the point, IF one already has the clamps and
everything to go with dog holes.

Dogholes provide clamping every N inches - 6" on my bench.
T-traks provide clamping anywhere (linearly).

Posted to rec.woodworking

On Dec 22, 9:44*pm, wrote:

Somewhere recently I read about a woodworker that equipped his bench
with T-slots instead of dogholes.

The problem I see is you'd need a knob sticking out. *If you want to
hand plane something you need to set the dog below the surface of the
stock.

Well, think about it some more. Any size or shape dog of any
material (wood, plastic, aluminum) can be mounted to a
small shoe that rides in the bottom of the T slot, with a setscrew
through the shoe to clamp the dog. There's no need for the
T-slot to be accompanied by a stick-up bolt, of the
metalwork milling holddown style.

How about a dovetail slot instead of T slot? It doesn't need metal
parts,
and a wedged dovetail dog would be easy to build.

work bench/ B&D Work mate Fred UK diy 8 April 13th 08 11:06 PM
Work Bench bejay Home Repair 3 December 4th 06 02:34 AM
Work Bench Carson McAloney Woodworking 6 June 10th 05 06:50 PM
reviving old work bench [email protected] Woodworking 10 October 30th 04 03:47 PM
Bench Vice Handle for new work bench Nick Bozovich Woodworking 7 August 27th 04 08:22 AM