Posted to alt.home.repair
Don Phillipson[_3_] Don Phillipson[_3_] is offline

Default How to properly use a hammer on nails?

"MiamiCuse" wrote in message

I have to do some mending of framing in the attic and I need to nail wood
gussets to a joint. The space in the attic is tight and angle is awkward.
I cannot get enough leverage so I end up bending and messing up the nails

as
I hammer them in. I don't think this is productive...

Is there a proper way to use a hammer to stop the nails from being bent?

or is there a proper tool to do what I am doing without a hammer? I

cannot
use a nail gun, I need to use 10d nails.

1. So long as fasteners hold securely, in hidden locations it
does not matter if they are bent or damaged by hammering.
2. Reconsider what type of fastener you need. You may
find screws (set in predrilled holes) or staples are functionally
OK in this location -- perhaps even just glue, if appropriately
braced/clamped while it sets.

--
Don Phillipson
Carlsbad Springs